"FYR OF MACEDONIA" Top 5 Page for this destination FYR of Macedonia by LoriPori

FYR of Macedonia Travel Guide: 3,232 reviews and 11,694 photos

MACEDONIA

Located in the central Balkan Peninsula in southeastern Europe, MACEDONIA is one of the states of the Former Yugoslav Republic (FYR). Macedonia is bordered by Kosovo to the northwest, Serbia to the North, Bulgaria to the east, Greece to the south and Albania to the west. Its capital is Skopje.
Other cities include Bitola - site of the first VT meet and dinner Friday, May 27 - and Ohrid - site of the second VT Meet and dinner, Sunday May 29, 2011.
Hans and I are looking forward to exploring this very unique country, with its more than 50 lakes and sixteen mountains higher than 2,000 meters.

Along with Ohrid and Bitola, we had the opportunity to see many wonderful sights of Macedonia, thanks to our VT organizer Valentina and friend, also Valentina.

Two organized bus tours were offered to us.
1) Lazy Drive to Ohrid via Prespa Lake:

The Painted Mosque in Tetovo
Monastery of St. George the Victorious in Rajcica
Monastery of St. Jovan Bigorski in Debar
Galicica National Park

• Pros:We managed to see quite a bit of this country thanks to Valentina
  • Last visit to FYR of Macedonia: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Sep 17, 2011

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Really a nice page about this country still not s visited in Europe.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Nov 3, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Thank you Corra for checking out my Macedonia pages. It really was a lovely country to visit and I am glad that I had this opportunity during the VT Meeting there.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2012 at 4:32 AM

I have to say that I really enjoyed this overview of Macedonia, a place I really never knew much about. One church for every day of the year! they must have been some kind of wealthy! I find the architecture quite lovely. maybe something to check into for the future:) thanks

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Nov 6, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Pleased that you enjoyed this page on Macedonia. I covered all the things we saw during our visit and thanks to Valentina, we got to see a lot. Hans and I also did not know what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed Macedonia and would go back again.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
      Nov 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM

I saw a lot that i will look into further. definitely a good possibility-combination of cultural and outdoor vacation

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Great overview of Macedonia and your trip there for VT- meeting last year. The Galicica national park seems to be very scenic. Loved Orthodox churches and monasteries. Hope visit it there someday...

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2011 at 5:59 AM

Lovely, interesting page Lori! I didn't realize there was so much to see here. Those frescoes are wonderful, I really never tire of seeing them, and I love the GALICICA NATIONAL PARK, it looks ever so pretty, and what a lovely Bus Driver you had!!

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Hi Lori, great photo of the Womens Monastery. Nice going through your pages. It brought back a lot of memories. Karl

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2011 at 4:55 AM

Macedonia looks lovely with all the monasteries, lakes and green hills! You really got to see a lot during you visit there!

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM

What an amazing place,full of culture and history,sorry we missed it.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Thank you Lori for this informative page! Your review gives a lot of information and I will surely use them on another visit : this time, my goal was not really to visit Macedonia, but as it was on my way, to have a quick look. You have seen several outstanding locations!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 9:44 AM

It all looks so charming. You two always have such delightful adventures. Keep them coming. Nice page Lori!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Great overview page Lori, with some lovely photos - I can now see even more of what I missed by not coming to the meeting ;-( The various monastries, eg at Lesnovo, sound especially fascinating. Such a cute cat at the Hotel Tutto too!

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in FYR of Macedonia

Have you been to FYR of Macedonia?

Latest Activity in FYR of Macedonia