"HANAUMA BAY" Top 5 Page for this destination Hanauma Bay by LoriPori
Hanauma Bay Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 46 photos
Friday February 7, 2003
As we had heard that HANAUMA BAY was a must see, Hans, Pat and I decided to go there for the day. So we went out to the bus stop in front of the Hilton and took the bus to the area where we could catch Bus 22 --- the "Beach Bus". It only runs every hour and of course, we just missed the 10:00 a.m. bus, so we had to wait for the 11:00 a.m. bus which was very crowded. The "Beach Bus" took us to Hanauma Bay.
It cost $3.00 each for the entry fee and you first have to see a film depicting the history of the area and what not to touch and what areas not to go as the coral reef is a very fragile area.
We walked down a steep incline from the upper area to the beach area and picked out a nice shady spot. Pat and I went into the sandy part of the water and were just amazed how many different colored fish swam around us. I've never seen anything like it. Purple ones -- black and white striped -- big blue ones -- little yellow ones.
We stayed until 4:00 p.m..Pat and I took the tram up the hill for $1.00 (Down was .50). We passed and waved to Hans as he walked up the hill. The bus came around 4:10 P.M. and again it was very crowded and we were lucky to get on. The bus took about 40 minutes to get back to the Hilton.
A LITTLE ABOUT HANAUMA BAY
Hana means Bay
Uma means Curved
Edged by a 2,000 foot golden beach, Hanauma Bay is a natural draw for visitors to O'ahu. Snorkelling is a great way to view Hawaii's marine life and Hanauma Bay is one of the best places for it. You'll enjoy floating in the calm, warm, clear water while watching the colourful fish dart back and forth.
Hans, Pat and I had a wonderful day there and strongly recommend it for a day trip,
When you wade into the calm, warm, shallow water of the reef, you will be treated to the sight of many colorful fish darting around and coming right up to you. It was such an unbelievable sight to see.
- Pros:I was just amazed at all the many colorful fish
- Cons:Wish I had brought an underwater camera
When Pat and I waded into the calm, warm water of the reef, we couldn't believe our eyes when we saw all these fish... more travel advice
At beach level there is a snorkelling equipment concession, dressing rooms, restrooms and an information kiosk. There... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Hanauma Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HANAUMA BAY"
- "Hanauma Bay's Surrounding Attractions"
- "Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay"
- "trippingstonefree hanaumabay"
- "Great place for snorkeling"
- "Easy Snorkling in HANAUMA BAY!!!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanauma Bay
- 8 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Hanauma Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanauma Bay
Photos in Hanauma BaySee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 84 reviews, 369 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 113 reviews, 338 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues