"HANAUMA BAY" Top 5 Page for this destination Hanauma Bay by LoriPori

Hanauma Bay Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 46 photos

HANAUMA BAY --- SNORKELLER'S PARADISE

Friday February 7, 2003
As we had heard that HANAUMA BAY was a must see, Hans, Pat and I decided to go there for the day. So we went out to the bus stop in front of the Hilton and took the bus to the area where we could catch Bus 22 --- the "Beach Bus". It only runs every hour and of course, we just missed the 10:00 a.m. bus, so we had to wait for the 11:00 a.m. bus which was very crowded. The "Beach Bus" took us to Hanauma Bay.
It cost $3.00 each for the entry fee and you first have to see a film depicting the history of the area and what not to touch and what areas not to go as the coral reef is a very fragile area.
We walked down a steep incline from the upper area to the beach area and picked out a nice shady spot. Pat and I went into the sandy part of the water and were just amazed how many different colored fish swam around us. I've never seen anything like it. Purple ones -- black and white striped -- big blue ones -- little yellow ones.
We stayed until 4:00 p.m..Pat and I took the tram up the hill for $1.00 (Down was .50). We passed and waved to Hans as he walked up the hill. The bus came around 4:10 P.M. and again it was very crowded and we were lucky to get on. The bus took about 40 minutes to get back to the Hilton.

A LITTLE ABOUT HANAUMA BAY
Hana means Bay
Uma means Curved
Edged by a 2,000 foot golden beach, Hanauma Bay is a natural draw for visitors to O'ahu. Snorkelling is a great way to view Hawaii's marine life and Hanauma Bay is one of the best places for it. You'll enjoy floating in the calm, warm, clear water while watching the colourful fish dart back and forth.
Hans, Pat and I had a wonderful day there and strongly recommend it for a day trip,

COLOURFUL FISH

When you wade into the calm, warm, shallow water of the reef, you will be treated to the sight of many colorful fish darting around and coming right up to you. It was such an unbelievable sight to see.

• Pros:I was just amazed at all the many colorful fish
  • Cons:Wish I had brought an underwater camera
  • Last visit to Hanauma Bay: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 17, 2005

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Superb photos of colorful and tropical reef fishes!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2008 at 8:40 AM

A warm place like Hawaii sounds pretty good right about now. I'd love to be able to see the fish up close like that.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2007 at 10:00 AM

The colorful Hanauma looks absolutely fantastic. Perfect place for the summer holiday...

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 12:05 AM

420 species of tropical reef fish? Wow, where are these colorful ones? Great shots of the bay!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2006 at 5:05 AM

What a fun place to go for a daytrip. Great page and photos. Did the fish nibble on your toes?

• keida84's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2005 at 8:17 AM

Hi Lori, I am in the mood for Hawaii today!! Haunama Bay was an embayment for Hawaiian royalty to bathe too. It's beautiful and like windsorgirl commented, it is like an aquarium! Kat

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 2:56 PM

After the fish had nibbled your ankles, did you have a nibble back (via a bbq of course) ;-)))

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2005 at 2:27 PM

It's like standing in a fish aquarium isn't it? I was also amazed at all the fish and such clear water, great pics in your travelogue...even without the underwater camera!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2005 at 5:12 AM

You have done such outstanding work on this page, Lori. Great info, enticing descriptions, and vibrant photographs. I LOL at the one taken by Hans (I assume) of you taking pictures of the fish. Don't you feel lucky to have experienced this paradise?

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2005 at 4:45 AM

It sure is a beautiful spot. We (our then 5 year old twin girls & my wife & I) took the tram back up the hill. You are so right about the morning being the bewst time. Let me know when you've finished here please Lori & I'll revisit.

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Hanauma Bay

Have you been to Hanauma Bay?

Latest Activity in Hanauma Bay