"DURBAN --- KwaZulu-Natal" Top 5 Page for this destination Durban by LoriPori

Durban Travel Guide: 426 reviews and 852 photos

DURBAN - A WONDERFUL BLEND OF CULTURES

Located on the east coast of South Africa, on a bay in the Indian Ocean, DURBAN is the country's chief seaport and third largest city. Named after Sir Benjamin D'Urban, who was governor of the Cape Colony in 1835, Durban was first colonized by Holland and later by England.
Durban is blessed with great sandy beaches and sub-tropical climate, which draws many European tourists.
Durban, whose Zulu name is Tewkweni, has a wonderful blend of African, European and Indian culture.
Hans and I thoroughly enjoyed our time here and marvelled at how beautiful Durban really is. There is many things to do and see here and I will try to cover some of those things.

RIDING A RICKSHAW

One of the fun things to do is RIDE A RICKSHAW. Rickshas were brought to Durban by the Hulett family. By 1904, there were 2000 registered rickshaw pullers. Our "puller" made it a lot of fun for us as he jumped up and down like an animal would and made all these funny noises. We had a great time, even if it was just for a few minutes. The posted price at the time was 5 rands per person.

FLEA MARKETS & SIDEWALK DISPLAYS

One of my very favourite things to do in Durban was to browse at the many FLEA MARKETS scattered throughout the Beachfront. Many colourful displays were laid out on the sidewalks for all to see. This one, with the vendor sitting comfortably in the shade, had mostly straw hats and baskets

• Pros:A Wonderful Blend of African, European and Indian Cultures
  • Last visit to Durban: Sep 1994
  • Intro Updated Apr 5, 2009

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Lori, fabulous page about Durban. This Flap-necked Chameleon looks indeed like an interesting fellow. - I hope you had a great time with the lovely bunch of VTers in Torremolinos.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Lori, You and Hansi looked to be having a great time in that Ricksha! I think those men earn their money, pulling us tourist's around, don't you? Liked the Bird Park too!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Interesting Durban travel page complete with excellent photographs and travel tips. Croc Park, Bird Sanctuary and Durban Sea World certainly sound attractive to us! Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2009 at 2:14 AM

A very enjoyable page - loved the exotic critters and the shopping tips. I think I might feel guilty riding a ricksha, even if I know the man earns a living in this way. Lucky you to have family in Durban.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 11:43 PM

A Sea World, a Croc Park and a Bird Sanctuary, they all sounds to be interesting places to visit. Nice tips Lori!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 8:49 AM

LOL... a rickshaw in Durban! I love dolphins and will probably go to their seaworld if ever I visit...Love the picture of Hansi in Zulu Hut!!! hehehe....Norman :)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Now I know why Durban draws many tourists - it's really worth visiting. I knew almost nothing about it before reading your page. Thanks Lori for the virtual tour.

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM

You live on the right coast for travel to South Africa Lori. I didn't go to Durban so enjoyed reading about it and seeing your pictures.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2007 at 3:01 PM

I used to ride in rikshas in Vietnam sometimes, but I never would have guessed they also had them in South Africa.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 3:25 AM

I'll be back here in 5 weeks visiting friends. Its remarkable how little, really, it has changed in the over 20 years I've been visiting! Gillybob greetings

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Durban