"DURBAN --- KwaZulu-Natal" Top 5 Page for this destination Durban by LoriPori
Durban Travel Guide: 426 reviews and 852 photos
Located on the east coast of South Africa, on a bay in the Indian Ocean, DURBAN is the country's chief seaport and third largest city. Named after Sir Benjamin D'Urban, who was governor of the Cape Colony in 1835, Durban was first colonized by Holland and later by England.
Durban is blessed with great sandy beaches and sub-tropical climate, which draws many European tourists.
Durban, whose Zulu name is Tewkweni, has a wonderful blend of African, European and Indian culture.
Hans and I thoroughly enjoyed our time here and marvelled at how beautiful Durban really is. There is many things to do and see here and I will try to cover some of those things.
One of the fun things to do is RIDE A RICKSHAW. Rickshas were brought to Durban by the Hulett family. By 1904, there were 2000 registered rickshaw pullers. Our "puller" made it a lot of fun for us as he jumped up and down like an animal would and made all these funny noises. We had a great time, even if it was just for a few minutes. The posted price at the time was 5 rands per person.
One of my very favourite things to do in Durban was to browse at the many FLEA MARKETS scattered throughout the Beachfront. Many colourful displays were laid out on the sidewalks for all to see. This one, with the vendor sitting comfortably in the shade, had mostly straw hats and baskets
- Pros:A Wonderful Blend of African, European and Indian Cultures
As it was spring-time in South Africa, the vibrant violet blossoms on the JACARANDA TREES , were in full bloom. These... more travel advice
Native to Sub-Saharan Africa, this unusual bird with its bright blue feathers is a VULTERINE GUINEA FOWL. I had a hard... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Durban Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hot Days - Cool waves"
- "Welcome to Durban"
- "Growing to appreciate Durbs-By-The-Sea"
- "DURBAN --- KwaZulu-Natal"
- "The Zulu Kingdom"
- "Durban a beautiful city in Prov.ZwaZululand -Natal"
- "Sunny City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durban
- Hotels in Durban
- Transportation in Durban
- Nightlife in Durban
- Restaurants in Durban
- Shopping in Durban
- Warnings and Dangers in Durban
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durban
- 21 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (119)
Have you been to Durban?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durban
Photos in DurbanSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 112 reviews, 334 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues