"HLUHLUWE UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE" Top 5 Page for this destination Hluhluwe Game Reserve by LoriPori
Hluhluwe Game Reserve Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 246 photos
Tuesday, September 27, 1994
Part of the Kwazulu - Natal Park System, HLUHLUWE UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE is situated in north Zululand, 280 km north of Durban. The reserve (pronounced Shu - Shlu - wee) was established on April 27, 1897 and is one of the oldest game reserves in Africa. This Reserve of approximately 96000 hectares in extent is home of the "BIG 5" - Lion -- Leopard -- Rhino -- Buffalo & Elephant.
Hluhluwe is characterized by hilly topography and is thus a particularly scenic reserve. The area is noted for its wide variety of both bird and animal life.
Although termed in two categories as "white" and "black", there is actually no difference in colour between the two types. The White Rhinoceros has a square lip, is a grazer, is larger and carries his heavier head downwards. The Black Rhinoceros is smaller, has a pointed lip and is a browser. Being very short-sighted has made him very aggressive and he will charge vehicles, so please do stay in your vehicle and don't get too close to these magnificent animals and like we did, prepare to leave in a hurry if you feel threatened.
Long legs and a very long neck, make the GIRAFFE one of Southern Africa's most unusual mammals ( mammals are animals that nurse their young). But these oddities do enable the Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis) to feed on leaves and seed-pods at a height where grass-eating animals cannot reach. Although the Giraffe has a height of 5.5 metres, it has the same number of vertebrae in its neck as a tiny sparrow. Giraffes have two bones that stick up from the tops of their heads. These are covered with tufts of hair and look like horns
- Pros:A TOTALLY AWESOME EXPERIENCE
The name is taken from an early chief name ZULU, meaning Heaven, who came from a segment of the Nguni migration. This... more travel advice
There are some 29 different ANTELOPE in Southern Africa, from the 700 kg Eland to the 5 kg Suni. Some common species of... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Hluhluwe Game Reserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HLUHLUWE UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE"
- "Ancient hunting ground of the Zulu Kings"
- "Game viewing, starlit nights and happiness."
- "Hluhluwe Game Reserve, South Africa 2003"
- "Our 3 night stay in Tree House Bonamanzi G.Park"
- "The oldest Game Reserve in Africa"
- "Hluhluwee, It's so Hard to Pronounce!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Hotels in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Transportation in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Nightlife in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Restaurants in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Shopping in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- 23 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Hluhluwe Game Reserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- updated a Hluhluwe Game Reserve Travel Page "HLUHLUWE UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE"
- Posted in Travel Cuba Forum "Re: Food in All Inclusives"
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Hluhluwe Game Reserve travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "TREE HOUSES"
- Wrote a Review ZULULAND in Hluhluwe Game Reserve Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Hluhluwe Game ReserveSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 88 reviews, 389 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 115 reviews, 339 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos, 7 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues