"THE DIVERSITY OF MKUZI" Mkuze Game Reserve by LoriPori
Mkuze Game Reserve Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 71 photos
Thursday, September 29, 1994
Nestled below the Ubombo Mountains with riverine forest and a wilderness of tall tree savanna MKUZI GAME RESERVE was established in 1912 and comprises 36000 hectares.
The 3 hour Nonhlonhlela trail leads you through scenic areas of the Reserve, while the Auto trail, which we took, meanders through several interesting and diverse habitats.
Bird life is prolific with 418 species being recorded. Nsumo Pan has two bird-viewing hides providing fine views for bird-watchers.
The animal life is abundant with species including impala, nyala, blue wildebeest, zebra, rhino, giraffe, leopard, tortoise, baboon, warthog, cheetah, hyena and suni.
Six permanent hides provide excellent viewing for game. Of note are the hides at Bube and Masings.
Long legs and a very long neck, make the GIRAFFE one of Southern Africa's most unusual mammals. But these oddities enable the Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis) to feed on leaves and seed-pods at a height where grass-eating animals cannot reach. Although the Giraffe has a height of 5.5 metres, it has the same number of vertebrae in its neck as a tiny sparrow. Calves when born, after a gestation period of 15 months are already 2 metres tall.
Giraffe are gregarious and are often seen in the company of Zebra and Antelope and are present in most large game reserves including here in Mkuzi.
With only the males carrying the lyre-shaped horns of approximately 50 cm, IMPALA (Aepyceros melampus) are elegant animals. Very gregarious, they can be seen in herds of 300 or more. Impala was abundant at Mkuzi.
- Pros:Many different Animals could be seen here
The Chacma Baboon and the VERVET MONKEY (Cercopithecus aethiops) inhabit approximately similar areas of Southern... more travel advice
Wildlife viewing can be a totally awesome experience of a life-time. We enjoyed spotting and pointing out the various... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Mkuze Game Reserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE DIVERSITY OF MKUZI"
- "Mkuzi Game Reserve, the last park we visited."
- "Mkhuze, A photographers Dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mkuze Game Reserve
- Hotels in Mkuze Game Reserve
- Transportation in Mkuze Game Reserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Mkuze Game Reserve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mkuze Game Reserve
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Mkuze Game Reserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mkuze Game Reserve
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: ANYONE ELSE FOLLOWED IN..."
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Mkuze Game Reserve travel pages
- updated a Mkuze Game Reserve Travel Page "THE DIVERSITY OF MKUZI"
- Wrote a Review PRIMATES ---VERVET MONKEY in Mkuze Game Reserve Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "PRIMATES ---VERVET MONKEY"
Photos in Mkuze Game ReserveSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues