"SANTA LUCIA ESTUARY & CAPE VIDAL" Saint Lucia Estuary by LoriPori

Saint Lucia Estuary Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 49 photos

SANTA LUCIA ESTUARY

Wednesday, September 28, 1994
St Lucia Estuary is situated within the Greater St. Lucia Wetland Park. The Park is made up of a number of conservation areas, the oldest of which is the St. Lucia Game Reserve (1895).
For bird watchers, there are numerous waterfowl and sea birds.
Crocodiles and Hippo can be seen on beautiful Lake Lucia. Hans, Wim and I saw many when we took the two hour boat trip on the Lake.

CAPE VIDAL

Wednesday September 28, 1994
One of the best snorkeling and spearfishing venues on this coast is CAPE VIDAL. While we were there we had the experience of seeing two fishermen just bringing in their day's catch of Mackeral.

BOAT TRIP ON LAKE LUCIA

Wednesday, September 28, 1994
It was a cloudy, rainy, overcast day so Hans, Wim and I thought we would go on the BOAT TRIP ON LAKE LUCIA. There are three departure times daily and each tour lasts for up to two hours. We had the wonderful experience of seeing Hippos enjoying themselves in the warm waters of the Estuary. Whole families of Hippo could be seen. Well mostly you saw the tops of their head and back, the rest was under water. We also saw one big crocodile lazing by the shore of the Lake and also many waterfowl and beautiful birds.

• Pros:Fun to see Hippos playing in the Estuary
  • Cons:Too bad it was such a miserable rainy day
  • Last visit to Saint Lucia Estuary: Sep 1994
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2005

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2012 at 6:24 AM

LOL agreeing with others,,,where were the mosquitos? Now that would be so cool, to see the hippos just bathing like tthat and the crocodile just waiting there at the shore looking for his next tasty morsel. Was the tree house noisy from the birds and other animals?

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Oct 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Seeing the hippos in the water, was a very fun experience. It was actually quiet around the tree house. The only animals that made noise were the monkeys. We could hear them on the roof of our tree house at night-time.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Lori, I spoke to my stepmother about a week ago and you wouldn't recognise the seafront at Durban now - totally revamped for the World Cup! Lovely page. Gillybob greetings

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Wow the tree houses look fun, but I am sure they were constructed for safety. I would want my tree house higher..lol! Lovely page Lori!

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 8:26 AM

We were about 100km from St. Lucia this past summer, but ran out of time to go there. It looks interesting.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Great page, I have not even been on the continent of Africa.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 5:44 AM

Sounds like a fascinating place to spend a holiday in. And you don't even mention mosquitoes. Weren't there any?

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 10:01 AM

The tree houses looks nice to stay in! I have never seen a hippo, but one day I must!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM

I like looking at hippos in water very much always wondering whether they are about to yawn :)

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Nice page on St Lucia- brought back memories for me!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Great that you got to stay in a tree house for three nights.

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Saint Lucia Estuary

Have you been to Saint Lucia Estuary?

Latest Activity in Saint Lucia Estuary