"SUN CITY --- A FANTASYLAND" Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City by LoriPori
Sun City Travel Guide: 311 reviews and 834 photos
October 7, 1994
The Lost City, an African tourist resort literally in the middle of nowhere, must be seen to be believed and is based on the legend of an ancient African tribe that stumbled on a beautiful valley, built their homes and lived happily ever after --- until the place was wiped out by an earthquake. How do I know this? Because it says so in all the glossy brochures that were printed by the folks who now claim to have re-created the splendors of that mythical African civilization. Yeah right! It is pure Hollywood -- plain and simple -- a real-life set from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, complete with water-falls, massive pillars and animal statues bounding from fountains.
We had heard about Sun City and were curious about it and Hans wanted to spend his birthday there (it has a Casino). So off we went.
Sun City casino resort got its start in the 1970's and it's been expanding ever since. The Palace of the Lost City was opened in 1992 and was built on a hillside, looking down on the rest of the complex.. but there's more to the Lost City than the Palace. It has a wave pool, a water slide and a smoke-belching bridge, the Bridge of Time.
Although Hans and I enjoyed our day at Sun City, you really can't take it seriously. It's certainly a popular draw with locals and foreign visitors, but in my opinion it doesn't hold a candle to the real South Africa, like the Natal coast, the wonderful Game Reserves, like Hluhleuwe and Mkuzi that we had the privilege of experiencing. These are the real jewels of South African tourism.
Although Hans and I enjoyed our day at Sun City, you really can't take it seriously. It's certainly a popular draw with... more travel advice
A nice place to relax and just people watch is the MONKEY SPRING PLAZA. .The Plaza honours the group of Monkeys that... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Sun City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sun City Will Rock You"
- "Sun City, Ideal First Visit To South Africa"
- "Africa's Kingdom of Pleasure"
- "Valley of Pleasure"
- "SUN CITY --- A FANTASYLAND"
- "Sun City Paradise in the heart of ancient Volcano"
- "Well turned out fake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sun City
- Hotels in Sun City
- Transportation in Sun City
- Nightlife in Sun City
- Restaurants in Sun City
- Shopping in Sun City
- Warnings and Dangers in Sun City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sun City
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Sun City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sun City
Photos in Sun CitySee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues