"SUN CITY --- A FANTASYLAND" Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City by LoriPori

Sun City Travel Guide: 311 reviews and 834 photos

SUN CITY -- SOUTH AFRICA

October 7, 1994
The Lost City, an African tourist resort literally in the middle of nowhere, must be seen to be believed and is based on the legend of an ancient African tribe that stumbled on a beautiful valley, built their homes and lived happily ever after --- until the place was wiped out by an earthquake. How do I know this? Because it says so in all the glossy brochures that were printed by the folks who now claim to have re-created the splendors of that mythical African civilization. Yeah right! It is pure Hollywood -- plain and simple -- a real-life set from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, complete with water-falls, massive pillars and animal statues bounding from fountains.
We had heard about Sun City and were curious about it and Hans wanted to spend his birthday there (it has a Casino). So off we went.

WORLD-CLASS HOTEL & CASINO

Sun City casino resort got its start in the 1970's and it's been expanding ever since. The Palace of the Lost City was opened in 1992 and was built on a hillside, looking down on the rest of the complex.. but there's more to the Lost City than the Palace. It has a wave pool, a water slide and a smoke-belching bridge, the Bridge of Time.

A POPULAR DRAW

Although Hans and I enjoyed our day at Sun City, you really can't take it seriously. It's certainly a popular draw with locals and foreign visitors, but in my opinion it doesn't hold a candle to the real South Africa, like the Natal coast, the wonderful Game Reserves, like Hluhleuwe and Mkuzi that we had the privilege of experiencing. These are the real jewels of South African tourism.

• Last visit to Sun City: Oct 1994
  • Intro Updated Apr 16, 2005

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2012 at 6:29 AM

I think i agree with you, a casino resort would probably not be of great interest to me when you have all these great wildlife and unique experiences nearby. sounds like you had a good time all the same!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Oct 30, 2012 at 3:25 AM

It was after all, Hansi's birthday and he does enjoy Casinos. The whole thing was pretty extravagant - esp for South Africa.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Lori, interesting little page about this Hollywood style place in South Africa. I must admit that I didn't know any details about the place before visiting your page.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Absolutely lovely Sun City travel page with great photographs and excellent tips. The Roaring Lagoon looks amazing. Thanks for your virtual tour. ~ho & pang

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 7:14 AM

Wish I swam here in the tidal wave in Sun City but I just took a video (here on VT)...glad you enjoyed Sun City like me, but I did not play the slots also... just looked around the place...Norman :)

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2009 at 5:52 AM

We last visited Sun City in the early 80's before it went over- the -top. Its awful now-so fake. Not my scene at all. Coming from Cape Town- I know where the real beauty of SA is. Good tips, Lori. Honest tips.

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

I agree with you Lori that the real South Africa is much more interesting than Sun City which is pure Hollywood.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Looks interesting. I met a family from S. Africa in Phuket and the Patriarch suggested Sun City in any itinerary there.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2007 at 2:24 PM

I must admit I have never heard of this place up to now. It looks quite interesting, though I think I would get annoyed at the corny names they have dreamt up for everything. I'm sure you are right that the real South Africa is much better.

• Doempie's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 2:52 AM

Really enjoy reading your pages, I'm also heading to Sun City for a quick visit next year, really looking forward to it after seeing your picks! You should visit Stellenbosch on your next SA trip, you'll love it!

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 3:16 AM

When I lived in Jo'burg, my friends and I would go up to Sun City for a day trip every 6 months or so but I left SA before the Lost City opened! Gillybob greetings

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Sun City

Have you been to Sun City?

Latest Activity in Sun City