"OUR TANGIER "EXPERIENCE"" Top 5 Page for this destination Tangier by LoriPori

Tangier Travel Guide: 477 reviews and 1,136 photos

OUR ONE DAY ADVENTURE TO TANGIER

Hans and I thought it would be fun to take a side trip to Tangier, while we were in Spain. So we went to our favourite local travel agency in Torremolinos and booked a day tour. This year's price ranges from a low of 50 Euros to as much as 80 Euros, so shop around.
We were picked up by bus at our hotel at 5:30 a.m. After picking up many more people, we drove along the coast to Algeciras for our embarkment by ferry to Tangiers. We crossed the Strait of Gibraltar. The sea was pretty calm so we had a pleasant trip there. We were greeted by our guide for the day and boarded the bus for our tour of the city. The fun begins.
Following the introductory bus tour of the city, we disembarked and started the next phase of the tour -- the walking tour. Our first stop was in a square near the Kasbah for the "Snake Charmers". We continued our walk until we arrrived at the Hammadi Restaurant for lunch. After lunch was the Oriental Rug demonstration, followed by the Spices demonstration. We then boarded the bus again as we were in for a real treat -- the obligatory Camel Ride. Yahoo!
All in all it was a fun day. It's different. That's why people come to Tangier. This fascinating city will introduce you to the culture and mystery of Morocco. But go with an open mind. Experience the Culture! Experience the sights, sounds, tastes and yes even the smells of Tangier.

CROSSROADS OF EUROPE

Located in Northern Africa, TANGIER is across the Strait of Gibraltar from Spain. The location of Tangier at the crossroads of Europe and Africa has made it an important port and commercial center.
There are three official languages, French, Spanish and Arabic. The city of Tangier is a mixture of the old and the new. The old part of the city, called the Kasbah, is walled and has white houses and narrow winding streets. The new European section is modern and luxurious.

YAHOO! RIDE THOSE CAMELS!!!

After our walk through the Kasbah, and the carpet and spice demonstrations, we got back on the bus and driven to a spot out of the city to where the camels were. For a fee ( one Euro ) you could get on the camel, ride around for a few minutes and have your picture taken. This was a fun part of the tour and of course Hans got on one. YAHOO!!! RIDE THOSE CAMELS

• Pros:Fascinating City
  • Last visit to Tangier: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2006

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Seems like you had a wonderful day trip with lots of interesting experiences! I'm sure I would have liked it too. I noticed on some of your pictures it appeared that some people looked right at your camera but not with smiling faces. Of course the ones requiring a Euro seemed happy.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Tangier was certainly an "experience" Overall it was a fun trip. Thanks for stopping by.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM

A wonderful travel page Lori! Tangiers looks very exciting.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Thanks Dee for checking out my Tangiers pages.It certainly was a different experience.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Most eventful for a single daytrip really. The one euro fee for the camels seems rather cheap. You did a lot in one day. I know i would have been very happy at the carpet demonstration since my mom is a collector. Well done, this sounds like good fun!

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:20 AM

It was good fun. You wouldn't believe how many people e-mailed me asking about this tour. I always tell them to go for it as it is quite an experience, but I also tell them to be open-minded as it is quite different.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Thank you for your comments. Very nice page on Tangier.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Wonderful Tangier travel page. The Medina and the Sultan Palace certainly look interesting to visit and explore. Camel riding for one euro is cheap as we paid five euros for riding a camel in Antalya, Turkey. ~ho & pang

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I think I'd enjoy this trip too, esp. the walk through the Medina and the ferry trips. I was pleasantly surprised to read about how well-organized it all was.

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Thanks for everything Lori*wink

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Lovely page Lori! Thanks :) Have a lovely Easter!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Lori, excellent litte page about your daytrip to Tangier. I must admit that I also though about such a daytrip when I was in southern Spain, but I finally cancelled it due to a lack of time.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Lovely page on Tangier! You two love-birds sure know how to have fun! And good on you! Kasbah and Medina look very inviting. Good tips lovely pics. Thanks for sharing Lori

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Tangier

Have you been to Tangier?

Latest Activity in Tangier