"OUR TANGIER "EXPERIENCE"" Top 5 Page for this destination Tangier by LoriPori
Tangier Travel Guide: 477 reviews and 1,136 photos
Hans and I thought it would be fun to take a side trip to Tangier, while we were in Spain. So we went to our favourite local travel agency in Torremolinos and booked a day tour. This year's price ranges from a low of 50 Euros to as much as 80 Euros, so shop around.
We were picked up by bus at our hotel at 5:30 a.m. After picking up many more people, we drove along the coast to Algeciras for our embarkment by ferry to Tangiers. We crossed the Strait of Gibraltar. The sea was pretty calm so we had a pleasant trip there. We were greeted by our guide for the day and boarded the bus for our tour of the city. The fun begins.
Following the introductory bus tour of the city, we disembarked and started the next phase of the tour -- the walking tour. Our first stop was in a square near the Kasbah for the "Snake Charmers". We continued our walk until we arrrived at the Hammadi Restaurant for lunch. After lunch was the Oriental Rug demonstration, followed by the Spices demonstration. We then boarded the bus again as we were in for a real treat -- the obligatory Camel Ride. Yahoo!
All in all it was a fun day. It's different. That's why people come to Tangier. This fascinating city will introduce you to the culture and mystery of Morocco. But go with an open mind. Experience the Culture! Experience the sights, sounds, tastes and yes even the smells of Tangier.
Located in Northern Africa, TANGIER is across the Strait of Gibraltar from Spain. The location of Tangier at the crossroads of Europe and Africa has made it an important port and commercial center.
There are three official languages, French, Spanish and Arabic. The city of Tangier is a mixture of the old and the new. The old part of the city, called the Kasbah, is walled and has white houses and narrow winding streets. The new European section is modern and luxurious.
After our walk through the Kasbah, and the carpet and spice demonstrations, we got back on the bus and driven to a spot out of the city to where the camels were. For a fee ( one Euro ) you could get on the camel, ride around for a few minutes and have your picture taken. This was a fun part of the tour and of course Hans got on one. YAHOO!!! RIDE THOSE CAMELS
- Pros:Fascinating City
The GRAND MOSQUE is said to have been the site of a Roman Temple and at one time housed a church built by the... more travel advice
The square near THE KASBAH fronts the former Sultan's Palace, which is now a museum of art and architecture. Tangier's... more travel advice
- HOUNDED BY NUMEROUS VENDORS
- See All EUROFERRYS
- THE CAMELS
- YAHOO!!! RIDE THOSE CAMELS
LoriPori's Related Pages
Tangier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Better surroundings than the city itself"
- "Memories of Tangier"
- "Tangier, a street corner where Europe meets Africa"
- "OUR TANGIER "EXPERIENCE""
- "Our Day Trip to Tangier"
- "Keeweechic's Tangier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tangier
- Hotels in Tangier
- Transportation in Tangier
- Nightlife in Tangier
- Restaurants in Tangier
- Shopping in Tangier
- Warnings and Dangers in Tangier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tangier
- 18 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Tangier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tangier
Photos in TangierSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues