"BAALBECK - CITY OF THE SUN" Baalbeck by LoriPori
Baalbeck Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 504 photos
Located in the Beqaa Valley in Lebanon BAALBECK is famous for its temple ruins of the Roman period when Baalbeck or BAALBEK was known as Heliopolis "the city of the sun". It is Lebanon's greatest Roman Treasure, containing some of the largest and best preserved Roman ruins. It became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984
The town Baalbek is about 85 km (53 miles) northeast of Beirut.
I visited this area in August of 1969 when on a cruise of the Mediterranean Sea. Beirut was one of our ports-of-call and Baalbeck and the Byblos Ruins was a side-trip we made.
N.B.The photos here are digital pics of my original "1969" pics. I don't know any other way to do it as I don't have a scanner.
Dedicated to Bacchus, the Roman God of wine, THE TEMPLE OF BACCHUS is also referred to as the "Temple of the Sun".
Considered as one of the best preserved Roman Temples in the world. Its walls are adorned by 42 Corinthian Columns, 19 of which remain upright.
Though less famous, it is larger that the Parthenon in Greece
Once a massive structure, all that is left of the great TEMPLE OF JUPITER are the six Corinthian columns. You have to wonder how they have stood for so long. They stand on a wall which is fifty feet in height. This remaining wall forms the southern wall of the original structure.
In the accompanying picture, you will see a little LoriPori in the lower left part of the photo which was taken in August, 1969.
As part of the side trip to Baalbek, we also got to visit the area around BYBLOS. Known as the "Ancient Crossroads of... more travel advice
Located in the Beqaa Valley in Lebanon BAALBECK is famous for its temple ruins of the Roman period when Baalbeck or... more travel advice
LoriPori's Related Pages
Baalbeck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Roman grandeur"
- "Julia Augusta Felix"
- "City of the Sun and Hezbollah"
- "Baalbek - Heliopolis"
- "BAALBECK - CITY OF THE SUN"
- "The City of the Sun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baalbeck
- Hotels in Baalbeck
- Transportation in Baalbeck
- Nightlife in Baalbeck
- Restaurants in Baalbeck
- Shopping in Baalbeck
- Warnings and Dangers in Baalbeck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baalbeck
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Baalbeck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baalbeck
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 110 reviews, 318 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 31 reviews, 172 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (115)
Latest Baalbeck hotel reviews
- Palmyra Hotel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013