"NIMES AND PONT DU GARD" Top 5 Page for this destination Nîmes by LoriPori

Nîmes Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 498 photos

C'EST LA VILLE DE NIMES

On Monday, September 25, 2000 Hans, Wim and I toured NIMES which is in the province of "LANGUEDOC-ROUSSILLON" in southern France.
Nimes has several very well preserved Roman sites, such as the Roman Temple "MAISON CARRE" and the Amphitheatre "LES ARENES". Also it has an 18th century park, "THE JARDINS DE LA FONTAINE" on the northern edge of the city.
PONT DU GARD is the only remaining three-tier Roman Aquaduct in the world. The aquaduct is a spectacular structure.

PONT DU GARD

On MondaySeptember 25, we visited the spectacular Pont Du Gard.

BIENVENUE AU PONT DU GARD

Here's Hans enjoying and exploring the Pont du Gard.

• Pros:Nimes -- a city rich in Roman history
  • Last visit to Nîmes: Sep 2000
  • Intro Updated Dec 19, 2004

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Excellent pages about what must be a fascinating place. Its amazing to see the engineering feats the Romans carried out and a credit to local authorities that it is so well preserved. wonderful!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2010 at 7:48 AM

It would be very much worth visiting Nimes to see the well-preserved Roman architecture!! I was completely unaware of it--thanks for the great virtual tour!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Thanks for the overview Lori :o) Still deciding on the stop overs during our car trip through South France next year. Very helpful info mate! Hugs xx

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 8:31 AM

We haven't been in Nimes since our honeymoon in 1991. It's amazing how well they have preserved their Roman structures.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Gorgeous Roman architecture. Loved the aqueduct, the amphitheatre and the great churches. Thanks for the lovely virtual tour, Lori. I really must visit France someday, and try out my French.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 3:25 AM

Beautiful page about that historic town, Lori.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Amazing historic town with so many Roman architecture. Incredible photos of Pont du Gard. Nimes looks like an in incredible tourist destination.

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Hi Lori, nice info on Pont du Gard. I really wanted to visit when I was in Nimes, but didn't have the time. I really enjoyed Nimes though - a hidden treasure :) Happy travels!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Many years ago, I visited some of the cities around Nimes. I never knew there were such great Roman ruins there. Too bad, as they would have been something to see.

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2007 at 12:10 PM

At last we are visiting the Pont du Gaurd this year, Nimes is twinned with my home town.

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Nîmes