Corregidor Island Favorite Tips by LoriPori Top 5 Page for this destination
Corregidor Island Favorites: 28 reviews and 65 photos
View from Restaurant Terrace
Favorite thing: Sunday January 9, 2012
An Island in the entrance of Manila Bay and because of its strategic location, CORRIGIDOR ISLAND served as a focal point for the Naval defences of the Philippine capital City, Manila.
The Island is about 48 kms west of Manila, is shaped like a tadpole and has a land area of 9 sq. kms. Because of its rocky landscape and the fortifications of Fort Mills, Corregidor Island is also known as "The RocK". Its bulbous head, called the Topside, was the nerve center of the Island during WWII. Here were located the headquarters, barracks, Officers' quarters and the bulk of the Batteries.
The Bottomside (Lower part of the island) is where the Malinta Tunnel can be found. The Malinta Tunnel is now home to "Light and Sound" presentation. (see tip "Malinta Tunnel").
Hans and I, together with VT Members i_s_a and Planxty (Fergy) we did a Sun Cruises Tour of Corregidor Island.
Favorite thing: Perhaps the most thought-provoking sights in Corregidor are the many RUINS there. The bombed out structures are a harsh reminder of how awful it must have been there during the war. One of the Ruins is of Mile-Long Barracks which was officers' quarters (housed as many as 2000 American officers) and quarters for Senior Officers. There is also Middleside Barracks Ruins and the Ruins of the Theater.
You can just picture these concrete building and how they were once bustling with activity. You can even see the stairs, most of which still remain.
Pacific War Memorial Museum
Favorite thing: This wonderful museum houses relics and memorabilia dedicated to WWII. The PACIFIC WAR MEMORIAL MUSEUM is right next to the remains of the Theater. When you first walk in, there is a huge map of Corregidor Island. Inside you will find, weaponry, scaled versions of ships used in the War, Relics, coins and medals found on the island, and a huge Map taking up the whole wall.
Favorite thing: To facilitate passage and to create a bombproof structure, the Americans drove a shaft from a rock quarry at Bottomside, directly through the Hill, creating the MALINTA TUNNEL. Construction of the Tunnel took about 10 years ( 1922 to 1932 ).
The Tunnel is 835 feet long, 24 feet wide and 18 feet high. Branching from it are 13 laterals on its north side and 11 laterals on its south side.
The main Tunnel is reinforced with concrete walls, a concrete floor and overhead arches.
General Mac Arthur set up headquarters inside the tunnel, where men and women would live and work during the siege of Corregidor.
Today, Malinta Tunnel offers visitors the "Light and Sound " Show, which we did (150 pesos) and which is a re-enactment of World War II's dramatic events. Each "Lateral" contained visual effects depicting various stages of the war, along with sound effects and recorded voices.
Eternal Flame of Freedom
Favorite thing: A large steel structure THE ETERNAL FLAME OF FREEDOM is located at the rear of the "Philippine War Memorial" Dome, on a raised platform which also provides visitors a breath-taking panoramic view of Manila Bay and the Bataan Peninsula.
Favorite thing: Twenty-three Batteries were set up on Corregidor and adjoining islands at the outbreak of WW II in 1941. These guns consisted of 56 coastal guns and 13 anti-aircraft artillery batteries with 76 guns.
There was one huge cannon that was so impressive. (pic #3)
Ruins of Cine Corregidor
Favorite thing: To the left of the Philippine War Memorial are the ruins of CINE CORREGIDOR which was a movie theater. It was erected during the pre-war period to entertain personnel and their families. Nothing much is left of the building except portions of its concrete walls.
To me, this was one of the saddest reminders of the War. Once it was a happy place and now it's just a bombed-out shell of a building.
LoriPori's Related Pages
Corregidor Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corregidor - Island of Bravery and Honour"
- "The Rock"
- "Corregidor: Fortress of Freedom"
- "Corregidor Island"
- "CORREGIDOR ISLAND"
- "Corregidor, Bastion of Freedom Fighters"
- "CORREGIDOR: THE LAST REFUGE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corregidor Island
- Hotels in Corregidor Island
- Transportation in Corregidor Island
- Nightlife in Corregidor Island
- Restaurants in Corregidor Island
- Shopping in Corregidor Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Corregidor Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ningbo Hotels
- Viljandi Hotels
- Pere Marquette State Park Hotels
- Oton Hotels
- Rrethi i Kolonjes
Badges & Stats in Corregidor Island
- 10 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Corregidor Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corregidor Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Greetings from Portugal."
- updated a Corregidor Island Travelogue "CONQUER CORRIGADOR TOUR"
- Wrote a Review A BIT ABOUT CORREGIDOR ISLAND in Corregidor Island Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "A BIT ABOUT CORREGIDOR ISLAND"
- Commented on one of i-s-a's Corregidor Island travel pages
Photos in Corregidor IslandSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 110 reviews, 318 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 31 reviews, 172 photos, 9 travelogues