"CORREGIDOR ISLAND" Top 5 Page for this destination Corregidor Island by LoriPori
Corregidor Island Travel Guide: 239 reviews and 904 photos
Sunday January 9, 2012
An Island in the entrance of Manila Bay and because of its strategic location, CORREGIDOR ISLAND served as a focal point for the Naval defenses of the Philippine capital City, Manila.
The Island is about 48 kms west of Manila, is shaped like a tadpole and has a land area of 9 sq. kms. Because of its rocky landscape and the fortifications of Fort Mills, Corregidor Island is also known as "The RocK". Its bulbous head, called the Topside, was the nerve center of the Island during WWII. Here were located the headquarters, barracks, Officers' quarters and the bulk of the Batteries.
The Bottomside (Lower part of the island) is where the Malinta Tunnel can be found. The Malinta Tunnel is now home to "Light and Sound" presentation.
Hans and I, together with VT Members i-s-a and Planxty (Fergy). did a Sun Cruises Tour of Corregidor Island.
I also want to take this opportunity to thank i-s-a for arranging this wonderful tour and Hans and I really enjoyed your company and friendship.
Perhaps the most thought-provoking sights in Corregidor are the many RUINS there. The bombed out structures are a harsh reminder of how awful it must have been there during the war. One of the Ruins is of Mile-Long Barracks which was officers' quarters (housed as many as 2000 American officers) and quarters for Senior Officers. There is also Middleside Barracks Ruins and the Ruins of the Theater.
You can just picture these concrete building and how they were once bustling with activity. You can even see the stairs, most of which still remain.
To facilitate passage and to create a bombproof structure, the Americans drove a shaft from a rock quarry at Bottomside, directly through the Hill, creating the MALINTA TUNNEL. Construction of the Tunnel took about 10 years ( 1922 to 1932 ).
The Tunnel is 835 feet long, 24 feet wide and 18 feet high. Branching from it are 13 laterals on its north side and 11 laterals on its south side.
The main Tunnel is reinforced with concrete walls, a concrete floor and overhead arches.
General Mac Arthur set up headquarters inside the tunnel, where men and women would live and work during the siege of Corregidor.
Today, Malinta Tunnel offers visitors the "Light and Sound " Show, which we did (150 pesos) and which is a re-enactment of World War II's dramatic events. Each "Lateral" contained visual effects depicting various stages of the war, along with sound effects and recorded voices.
- Pros:Reality check
- Cons:It rained the whole day
Sunday January 9, 2012 An Island in the entrance of Manila Bay and because of its strategic location, CORRIGIDOR ISLAND... more travel advice
This wonderful museum houses relics and memorabilia dedicated to WWII. The PACIFIC WAR MEMORIAL MUSEUM is right next to... more travel advice
Written Jan 31, 2012
CONQUER CORRIGADOR TOUR
Written Jan 31, 2012
CONQUER CORRIGIDOR TOUR
LoriPori's Related Pages
Corregidor Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corregidor - Island of Bravery and Honour"
- "The Rock"
- "Corregidor: Fortress of Freedom"
- "Corregidor Island"
- "CORREGIDOR ISLAND"
- "Corregidor, Bastion of Freedom Fighters"
- "CORREGIDOR: THE LAST REFUGE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corregidor Island
- Hotels in Corregidor Island
- Transportation in Corregidor Island
- Nightlife in Corregidor Island
- Restaurants in Corregidor Island
- Shopping in Corregidor Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Corregidor Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- West Hollywood Hotels
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Hotels
- Flushing Hotels
- Costa Rica
- Steptoe Butte State Park
- Vilanova i la Geltru
- Cocoa Beach Hotels
- Dipolog City
- Kiryas Joel Hotels
- Scoresby Hotels
- La Línea de la Concepción
- Clearwater Beach
Badges & Stats in Corregidor Island
- 10 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Corregidor Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corregidor Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Cookies for Hansi (Waalewiener)"
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Corregidor Island travel pages
- updated a Corregidor Island Travelogue "CONQUER CORRIGADOR TOUR"
- Wrote a Review A BIT ABOUT CORREGIDOR ISLAND in Corregidor Island Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "A BIT ABOUT CORREGIDOR ISLAND"
Photos in Corregidor IslandSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 111 reviews, 332 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 81 reviews, 336 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 54 reviews, 192 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 34 reviews, 181 photos, 9 travelogues