Kalibo Things to Do Tips by LoriPori Top 5 Page for this destination
Kalibo Things to Do: 5 reviews and 20 photos
Saturday January 14, 2012
Held annually in January in Kalibo ATI-ATIHAN FESTIVAL is a feast to honor Santo Nino, Infant Jesus. Ati-Atihan means "To be like Aetas", who were the primary settlers in the islands.
The Festival consists of tribal dance, music and the wearing of costumes and weapons, as participants parade along the streets of Kalibo. Many blacken their faces in honor of the Aetas. Bands of drummers (pic # 4) keep the pace of the parade. The drumming is so loud, it seems to vibrate right through you.
An amazing thing about the parade is that you could walk freely among the participants and pose for pictures with them. I've never seen anything like it. Also, a band from Vancouver B.C. participated in the Festival parade.
We had the opportunity to attend this exciting and colorful festival, as a bus which was ready for us at the Ferry docks, was organized for our group by our wonderful local hosts and VT Members.
Thanks to all who worked so hard on this outing. Very much appreciated.
Address: Streets of Kalibo
More Reviews (5)
LoriPori's Related Pages
Kalibo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mabuhay, Welcome to Kalibo!"
- "Home of the Ati-Atihan Festival."
- "Literally a flying visit."
- "Kalibo, Province of Aklan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kalibo
- Hotels in Kalibo
- Transportation in Kalibo
- Nightlife in Kalibo
- Restaurants in Kalibo
- Shopping in Kalibo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kalibo
- 6 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Kalibo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalibo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor Intro, 112 reviews, 334 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos Intro, 82 reviews, 346 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 45 reviews, 252 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 53 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais Intro, 38 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 45 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 39 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 41 reviews, 212 photos, 10 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 55 reviews, 197 photos, 7 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 42 reviews, 193 photos, 8 travelogues