"BAD WIMPFEN - WONDERFUL FACHWERK BUILDINGS" Bad Wimpfen by LoriPori

Bad Wimpfen Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 247 photos

WILLKOMMEN - HISTORIC BAD WIMPFEN

Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Located in the Baden-Wurtemberg district of Germany, south-east of Heidelberg, south-west of Rothenburg ob der Tauber and north of Heilbronn. BAD WIMPFEN is a wonderful Medieval Old Town with its half-timbered (Fachwerk) houses and twisty lanes. I really loved it here. Gabi (Blumia) suggested we stop here and I thank her for that suggestion.
Bad Wimpfen, an historic gem, dates back to the Middle Ages and get its "Bad" (Bath) name as it is originally a Spa town.

BURGERMEISTER HAUS

The 16th century half-timbered building BURGERMEISTER ELSASSER HAUS is located at Obere (Upper) Turmgasse 1. This is a fabulous building with a Baroque Bay Window (circa 1717). The detailing in the front is wonderful to see.

BLAUER TURM - BLUE TOWER

Built around 1200 as the keep on the West side of the Staufen Imperial Palace, the BLAUER TURM or BLUE TOWER ( because of its blue tiled roof ), is a symbolic landmark of the town of Bad Wimpfen. The Tower with its four turrets, was well used into the 19th century as a watch-tower. From the top, there is a wonderful view of the Old Town and the Neckar Valley.

• Pros:Loved it! Not too touristy - YET!
  • Last visit to Bad Wimpfen: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 10, 2008

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Cute little town. Was there a castle nearby? Loved the gemutlichkeit!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Dec 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Bad Wimpfen was really enjoyable to visit. It was a suggestion from a local VT Member to go there and I'm glad we did.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Wow!! Found another place to visit! I just love that cafe by the pond Lori! ....and the quaint buildings! Oh we have gotta see this place! Thank you so much for the tips mate :o) Hugs xx

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2010 at 3:23 AM

What a charming town! Lovely photo's make me wish I was there!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I have never heard of the "Schweine Museum" before, but now I know why I should put Bad Wimpfen on my must-visit list. *winkygrin*

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Hola Lori the Schweine Museum is a novel idea. I bet Miss Piggy would love it here, and also the cookie shop. Nice photos.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2008 at 9:34 PM

I must visit this place! Good snap shot of Hansi at work! Excellent photos of this wonderful little town with a great architecture!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2008 at 8:19 AM

I love the pig museum, I would have to stop in this town just for that :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Picturesque little town. Love the half timber architecture. That Blue Tower is really a remarkable structure. Cute photos of Hansi through the window. You've done such a lovely job with your German pages, Lori.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2008 at 7:12 AM

Oh such a beautiful little town!! I should visit more of my own country :-)) I love that cafe next to the lake and your cafe with the pastries. Oh and haha, yes, the Schweinemuseum is a must :-)))

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2008 at 8:05 AM

Another great page and another place we missed. I love those old German towns - and their lovely names!

LoriPori

“Travel Near - Travel Far - The Limit is the Sky”

Badges & Stats in Bad Wimpfen

Have you been to Bad Wimpfen?

Latest Activity in Bad Wimpfen