"Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City by JonnyVN

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide: 3,154 reviews and 7,291 photos

Love it

Things have changed dramatically since I first started coming here over 12 years ago, it's modernising, you can buy just about anything (well sort of, you can get marmite at least now) and the economy is thriving. The food is wonderfull, while not standing up to the variety of say Hong Kong, we have just about every cuisine available, vietnamese as well of course.

Think I'm going to be here a long time, can't think of a better place to live.

What the hell am I doing here

Good question, me and my wife running an advertising agency here, a small creative based agency. Been doing it for about four years and still enjoying it.

Home sweet home

Me my wife baby Tom Lâm Geen, four dogs, two terrapins live just over the Saigon bridge in a house. Spent a lot of time renovating, especially the garden, which we have just planted, hence the mess on the photo. The area here is great, lots of expats so good shopping and a few cool bar and restaurants.
Our son, growing by the minute sets of on his first travel adventure in December, to the UK, first time he is going to feel the cold. His name by the way is not a Thai spicey soup; Tom after his Grandfather (actually the name Thomas goes back to his Great x9 Grandfather), Lâm is Vietnamese for forest, Geen is a name that has been handed down 5 generations and was my GG grandmothers maiden name.

• Intro Updated Aug 30, 2008

• ItchyFeetCB's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Very useful information! I am planning a visit to Hanoi, Halong Bay and Ho Chi Minh City. There are many travel agencies offering tours that have biking parts. I know now, that I won't be taking such a tour - for safety reasons.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Very good information , thanks alot for nice Ho Chi Minh City Page.

• roxycazmot's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Very informative tips,my group will be going to Ho Chi Minh July 25'09,these will help a lot...

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Thanks again John for lots of helpful info...great tips and pics...cheers Denny

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Nice info about HCMC; Thanks Jonny, I just have a lot of choice for the 24 hours I will spend there.

• May 25, 2008 at 10:52 PM

This is actually a review for Quan Nuong not Quan An Ngon. Quan Nuong is certainly worth a visit - try the Bo La Lot: marinated minced beef wrapped in beetle leaf, grilled then wrapped with herbs & rice vermicelli in fresh rice wrappers - Yum!

• Jan 31, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Jonny, planning a trip to HCM with a few guys I work with here in Macau. Arrive 8.2.08 and have just discovered that its also Chinese New Year in Vietnam. will the city will be empty. Also will musueams/bars/clubs/restau be open? Thanks Joe

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Hi Jonny, Have asked 2 questions in Vietnam forum and you have answered them both. Thanks so much! Have finally got around to looking at your pages. They are very helpful. Am looking forward to seeing Vietnam for myself in August. Tracey

• oneyeking's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Hi Jonny, thanks for the best advises. You're the man in Saigon! Take care and cheers mate.

• Chellenz's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2008 at 4:22 AM

Hey Jonny, Ive been looking around ur site. ITs great to hear about all aspects of places. We will be there in March for 6 days very excited. Good luck and all the best with your new little one thats due to arrive this year. Michelle

JonnyVN Lives Here!

JonnyVN

“Be nice”

Badges & Stats in Ho Chi Minh City

Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?

Latest Activity in Ho Chi Minh City