"Banff and Kananaskis Country Cross Country Skiing" Banff National Park by edgarhee
Banff National Park Travel Guide: 791 reviews and 1,541 photos
The historic Num-ti-jah Lodge is set on the shores of Bow Lake with views of the Bow Glacier. Num-ti-jah Lodge is north of Lake Louise on the Icefields Parkway.
The lodge was our base camp for ski treks into the backcountry and the start of a three lodge tour of the Banff National Park and the adjacent Kananaskis Country.
After an overnight stay at Canmore's Westridge Country Inn, we began our ski trek to the backcountry Shadow Lake Lodge. The Red Earth Creek trail head off of the Trans Canada Highway is a 19 km west of Banff.
Access to Shadow Lake Lodge is a 14 km ski on a maintained ski trail. We encounter the Brewster trail setting crew on our ski in.
Hanna greeted us at the lodge with afternoon tea and an infectious smile. The lodge is actually a cluster of log cabins, each with two double beds, a dining building and shower room. Yes, hot showers during winter.
What a wonderful place - comfortable cabins, good food, spectacular scenery, and a great hostess.
Kananaskis Country is south of Canmore outside of the Banff National Park. The ski opportunities, tracked and untracked, are a fantastic alternative to Banff.
- Pros:The reason for national parks.
- Cons:Americans can only visit Canada 6 months each year.
- In a nutshell:God's Country
Canmore and the Westridge Country Inn is a good place to start exploring the Banff and Kananaskis Country area. Ursula... more travel advice
edgarhee's Related Pages
Banff National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "under re construction please come back"
- "The Canadian Rockies"
- "BANFF NATIONAL PARK"
- "Not Really Bashing Banff But...."
- "Banff National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banff National Park
- Hotels in Banff National Park
- Transportation in Banff National Park
- Nightlife in Banff National Park
- Restaurants in Banff National Park
- Shopping in Banff National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Banff National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banff National Park
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Banff National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banff National Park
Photos in Banff National ParkSee All Photos (3)
Top 5 Pages
- Helsinki Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yorkshire Dales National Park Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Idaho Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Banff National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Medford Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Latest Banff National Park hotel reviews
- Patricia Lake Bungalows
- 611 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- The Glacier View Inn
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Bow Valley Motel
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Brewster's Kananaskis Guest Ranch
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Banff Springs Hotel
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Mt. Engadine Lodge
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013