"French Polynesia in the Pacific" Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia by easyoar

French Polynesia Travel Guide: 1,496 reviews and 3,503 photos

Arriving at Tahiti

Most flights into Tahiti arrive at night, which means that unless you can get a connecting flight to another island, you will have to stay in Papeete (capital of Tahiti) for a night. One night is enough. We paid around USD150 for a dirty plain room for one night. And this was with a discount off the standard rate. You can pay way more than this. The only advantage of the hotel was that it was near the harbour and we could walk to the ferries that went to Moorea. Moorea is much better than Tahiti but still stupidly expensive. On our way back we left Moorea early, rented a car back on Tahiti and drove around some of the island, which can be quite nice when you leave Papeete.

Whilst outside of Papeete, there are some nice things to see on Tahiti, I would strongly recommend you go and see Moorea and spend most of your time there as this is much more the Polynesian beauty spot that you may be expecting. Tahiti has just got too built up in many places.

• Pros:Beautiful Scenery, friendly people.
  • Cons:Ludicrously expensive, doesn't match the hype
  • In a nutshell:Greek Islands are cheaper and more beautiful
  • Last visit to French Polynesia: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated May 1, 2005

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2010 at 6:13 AM

Hello Andy, Nice pages. Thank you very much and happy new year to you. Tomas Eriksson :)

• Oct 31, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Excellent information and tips!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 1:53 AM

Hello, Andy! Your stories are superb and make an interesting reading! Thanks a lo!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2006 at 12:33 AM

Hello Andy. Superb tips & gorgeous photos... this place truly looks amazing! Thanks for sharing your insights - I'll be sure to check your pages again if I manage to make it there :-) Greetings from the desert / Jess

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2006 at 3:02 PM

The ruins are fascinating--I'm glad to hear some of the history has been preserved. Now, for those Polynesian dances... sounds like it would make for trim waistlines!!!

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2006 at 4:47 AM

Great page, beautuful place I would love to visit. Will have to come back to read some more. Swimming with turtles must be great! Greetings

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2005 at 9:34 AM

I'll be spending most of my time in Bora Bora. Helga is interested in finding out what I'm going to do over there. Hence, browsing pages for ideas. U didn't mention about BB, but I did get some good ideas about Moorea. Thanks!

• perfectly_zen's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 5:04 PM

Great page...very helpful as well....=D

• Sep 15, 2005 at 3:21 AM

very intersting page with the history of Tatoo.

• hekate's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2005 at 6:47 AM

Very interesting page! I likes the sunset and I think you are probably the only man who had put as a shpping tip a jewlery shop :)

Badges & Stats in French Polynesia

Have you been to French Polynesia?

Latest Activity in French Polynesia