"The Capital of Cyprus - twice..." Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia by easyoar
Nicosia Travel Guide: 287 reviews and 663 photos
This page has the potential to get political, so I will try and state only facts and keep well away from politics. As most people know, Cyprus is a divided island. The Turks live in the North, the Greeks live in the South, and the UN peacekeepers live inbetween them in an area known as the Green Line. The South is also known as the Republic of Cyprus, and is recognised around the world. The North is also known as the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC), and is only recognised by Turkey.
The upshot of this all is, that if you want to go to Cyprus, and fly direct from a European country, you can only fly to the Greek South. It is possible to fly to the North, but you must fly via Turkey. It is also possible to travel from the South to the North on a day trip. Until recently this was only possible provided you weren't Greek. It was not possible to travel the other way (unless returning from your day trip). However in the last year or so, tensions between the two sides have reduced, and there is now some flow (for a limited time period) between both sides.
Not only is Cyprus a divided country, but the capital city is also divided between North and South. For foreigners it can get confusing as one place can have several different names, as Greeks Turks and the British have all given the same place (Britain did at one point have sovereign territory over Cyprus). The capital city is a fine example of this. The Greeks call it Lefkosia, The Turks call it Lefkosa, and the British call it Nicosia.
The picture at the top shows part of the Green Line as viewed from the South.
The smaller picture here shows a road sign that to me at anyrate symbolises the conflict. It is riddled with bullet holes, and has had destinations painted out (and even roundabout exits painted out) as at the time the picture was taken, they had become inaccessible due to the conflict.
- Pros:Very friendly people and great weather
- Cons:Keep away from the politics
- In a nutshell:A lot more to see than just beaches!
Ayia Sophia is a cathedral/mosque in Nicosia. She can trace her roots back as far as 1209 and was built during the... more travel advice
Kyrenia is a staggering beautiful town on the North Coast of Cyprus. It also a more Mediterranian feel than any other... more travel advice
easyoar's Related Pages
Nicosia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capital of Cyprus - twice..."
- "Nicosia ~ The last divided city"
- "The Last Divided City on Earth"
- " NICOSIA"
- "NICOSIA, Old Houses, Narrow Streets and History"
- "A city cut in half."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nicosia
- Hotels in Nicosia
- Transportation in Nicosia
- Nightlife in Nicosia
- Restaurants in Nicosia
- Shopping in Nicosia
- Warnings and Dangers in Nicosia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nicosia
- 37 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Nicosia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nicosia
Photos in NicosiaSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Latest Nicosia hotel reviews
- Asty Hotel
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Cyprus Hilton
- 244 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Cleopatra Hotel
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hilton Park Nicosia
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Europa Hotel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2013
- Merit Lefkosa Hotel & Casino
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Golden Tulip Nicosia Hotel and Casino
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Classic Hotel
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Almond Business Suites
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013