Gibraltar Off The Beaten Path Tips by easyoar Top 5 Page for this destination
Gibraltar Off The Beaten Path: 47 reviews and 44 photos
Big Gun controlling the Straits of Gibraltar
As Gibraltar looks across the Gibraltar straits, which are fairly narrow, it plays a key part in controlling access to and from the Mediterrainean Sea.
Having a big rock here means that from the top, you can see right across to Africa. Therefore putting a big gun on the top of the rock gives you the ability to hit any shipping coming in or out (unless it is a submarine, but I believe other methods were used for these!).
Note:- I'm sure this gun is now retired ;-)
This picture shows one of the ig guns that was built by the British right on top of the Rock of Gibraltar. It's not the most interesting of photos, but it is possible to look out from the top and imagine the range of this gun fairly easily.
Healy's Mortar is effectively a round cyclindrical hole cut deep (at approx 45 degree angle) into some rock. The intention was to fill the bottom up with gunpowder (over 20kgs), then place a wooden cover of this, and then add around 1,500 rocks weighing approx 0.5 kilos each. A slow 5 minute fuse would then be lit whilst everyone nearby hid. The idea then was that the mortar would fire, and all of the rocks would hit Spanish lines. The picture shows the mortar hole on the left hand side, and a sign on the right describing the mortar.
Unfortunately, the rocks typically ended up hitting the British fortress, so the mortar was mothballed.
This Mortar can be found just North of the Apes Den at the Queens Gate on the Upper part of the Rock.
More Reviews (19)
- See All Does Gibraltar have it's own flag?
- See All Flying in to Gib
- See All The View to Spain is pretty good too!
- Gibraltar's most famous Hotel
easyoar's Related Pages
Gibraltar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gibraltar - The Rock"
- "A brief history..."
- "Gibraltar - A British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - Home of the Rock"
- "Gibraltar - Still a British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - not the best weather but still great!"
- "Britannia on the Iberian Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gibraltar
- Hotels in Gibraltar
- Transportation in Gibraltar
- Nightlife in Gibraltar
- Restaurants in Gibraltar
- Shopping in Gibraltar
- Warnings and Dangers in Gibraltar
- See All...
Explore the World
- San Pawl il-Bahar Hotels
- Mesnières-en-Bray Hotels
- Qingdao Hotels
- Isla de Gran Canaria
- Pulau Gasing Hotels
- Sint Maarten
- Tunisia Off The Beaten Path
- Slovenia Off The Beaten Path
- Rhode Island Off The Beaten Path
- New Year's Eve
- Laughlin Off The Beaten Path
- Morro de Sao Paulo
- Nearby Towns or Villages.
- Moscow Off The Beaten Path
- Cuernavaca Off The Beaten Path
- Atlantic City Off The Beaten Path
- Yangshuo Off The Beaten Path
- Isola di San Michele
Badges & Stats in Gibraltar
- 21 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Gibraltar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gibraltar
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Where is Gibraltar?"
- Wrote a Review Does Gibraltar have it's own flag? about So Very English.....or? in Gibraltar Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Does Gibraltar have it's own flag?"
- updated a Gibraltar Travel Page "Gibraltar - Still a British Colony"
- Commented on one of cbeaujean's Gibraltar travel pages
Photos in GibraltarSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Latest Gibraltar hotel reviews
- Caleta Hotel
- 276 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
- 468 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Emile Youth Hostel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Bristol Hotel
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Queen's Hotel
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Rock Hotel Gibraltar
- 734 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Governor's Inn
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2012
- Cannon Hotel
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Continental Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Ocean Heights Apartments
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 30, 2013
- The Town / Main Street- 52 Reviews, 105 Photos
- Caves / Tunnels- 45 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Barbary Apes- 54 Reviews, 91 Photos
- A View at the Top- 30 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Tours - Land / Sea- 38 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Cable Car- 19 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Forts / Batteries / Castles- 30 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Europa Point- 18 Reviews, 40 Photos
- The Rock- 26 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Statues / Monuments / Museums- 19 Reviews, 27 Photos
See All Gibraltar Things to Do