"Gibraltar - Still a British Colony" Gibraltar by easyoar
Gibraltar Travel Guide: 1,211 reviews and 2,717 photos
Gibraltar is a small rock (well certainly not small enough that you can pick it up!) on the Southern Tip of Spain. The Rock has been under British sovereignty for several hundred years now and the Spanish don't like it.
Gibraltar aside, Britain and Spain get on remarkably well, and are both countries in the EU. Britains Prime Minister Tony Blair used to holiday with Spain's ex-Premier Jose Maria Aznar, and the two Premiers were good political buddies too. However when you bring Gibraltar back into the equation things can heat up a bit.
If I read between the lines, I sometimes feel the British Government would like to be shot of Gibraltar and hand her over to Spanish control. The Britain and Spain would both be happy and everything would be hunky dorey? Not a bit of it. When referendums are held in Gib, the results would make the leader of a one party communist state over the moon. Almost without exception the whole island votes to be British. Spain and Britain were talking of some deal recently and left the Gibraltarians out of the talks. The Gibraltarians reaction was to hold a referendum where well over 99% of the population voted to remain British. The Spanish-Anglo talks collapsed almost instantly.
Now one thing Spain doesn't advertise much is that she has two of her own Gibraltars (Ceuta and Melilla) on mainland Africa, and the Morrocans want these back even more badly than the Spanish want Gibraltar. The Spanish response to this is? We won't even discuss Spanish sovereignty of Ceuta and Melilla. A little hypocritical in my opinion!
Spanish feeling on Gibraltar does run quite deeply however. When I was at Uni, I had two friends who had both been born and bred in Spain. One lived in Barcelona, and the other in the Basque Country. They would argue until the cows came home that "We are NOT Spanish". Many people in Barcelona consider themselves Catalan and not Spanish (and so did my friend). The Basque, well I'm sure people know of ETA that wants to separate the Basque Country from Spain. Well my Basque friend certainly didn't fall into that category, but he certainly wasn't Spanish either. One day I got a bit fed up with their rants on anti-Spanish this and that. and I dropped Gibraltar in the equation, and added "and of course she is British". Both of them suddenly forgot all about their lack of Spanishness and immediately started arguing quite heatedly that Gibraltar was Spanish. When I asked why they should care as neither of them were Spanish, I got a rather sheepish silence before one piped up that he felt that way because "The Spanish are nicer than the English".
Some of these arguments aren't always that logical, they just have rules that neither side will deviate from.
- Pros:A curious mix of Britain with Spanish and other bits thrown in
- Cons:The complicated politics
- In a nutshell:In some respects it's more British than Britain
If you visit Gibraltar, you could be forgiven for thinking that it has no flag of its own and that the Union Jack (i.e.... more travel advice
Whilst most people go to Gibraltar and have the idea that they will look across at Africa, don't forgt to take a look... more travel advice
easyoar's Related Pages
Gibraltar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gibraltar - The Rock"
- "Gibraltar ......The Rock"
- "A brief history..."
- "Gibraltar - A British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - Home of the Rock"
- "Gibraltar - Still a British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - not the best weather but still great!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gibraltar
- Hotels in Gibraltar
- Transportation in Gibraltar
- Nightlife in Gibraltar
- Restaurants in Gibraltar
- Shopping in Gibraltar
- Warnings and Dangers in Gibraltar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gibraltar
- 21 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Gibraltar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gibraltar
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Where is Gibraltar?"
- Wrote a Review Does Gibraltar have it's own flag? about So Very English.....or? in Gibraltar Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Does Gibraltar have it's own flag?"
- updated a Gibraltar Travel Page "Gibraltar - Still a British Colony"
- Commented on one of cbeaujean's Gibraltar travel pages
Photos in GibraltarSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos