"Fossils, beaches and an abandoned village" Kimmeridge by easyoar

Kimmeridge Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 87 photos

Kimmeridge is an area in Dorset right next to the sea, and famous for the large number of fossils that can be found on the beach. The one you can see in the picture here was in a piece of rock that had just collapsed off the cliff face, and hence has not yet been eroded by the sea (the rock was massive, and you aren't allowed to use hammers on the beach, so it is not likely to go anywhere in a hurry either ;-)

Another interesting part of Kimmeridge is the old village of Tyneham. This was forcibly evicted in WWII, and the houses still remain empty to this day (although they aren't really fit to live in these days...). The old village is in the middle of a Tank Firing Range (although it is safe to visit, you must not stray into the fenced off parts!)

• Pros:Fossils, beach, countryside and fresh air
  • Cons:You'll need a car...
  • In a nutshell:Great for people of all ages
  • Last visit to Kimmeridge: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 19, 2005

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Hello, Andy! Thanks for your wonderful page....

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 2:33 AM

They're the grazing marks left behind by the whelks and periwinkles feeding on the algae. I loved the rock pools & fossils in Kimmeridge but haven't been there for ages.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2006 at 6:57 AM

Fantastic village, I'm surprised no one has moved in there yet. I would be the first one to try it is so lovely. A most interesting page, as always from you.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2006 at 5:17 PM

Fossil fun and foneboxes. Fantom towns and firing ranges.Very facinating as always! musta been kinda spokey walking round that town though! I have a lot of my decendents from Dorset and Cornwall and I would love to visit. Tim

• May 21, 2006 at 8:12 AM

Fabulous page Andy, love the fossils and flowers photos! Though why anyone would want to go naked in Dorset at night is beyond me... even if they are wearing insect repellant! Lol!

• condorito's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 12:54 PM

+May be a beach party of black ascaris lumbricoides?

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 3:09 AM

Fascinating and very informative.......but will it help Reading win the premiership?

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2005 at 3:00 AM

Fantastic page. Takes me back - I used to work in Dorset (Swanage) every summer when I was a student - loved hiking around the Isle of Purbeck. Many thanks :-)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2005 at 2:11 PM

Loved the bench with a sense of humour - Trekki would be able to explain rocks!! Good page I enjoyed reading !!

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2005 at 8:14 PM

Lovely destination in Britain this Kimmeridge, I love place like this, and thanks to you I might add some more page to this great location!;) YOU ARE A REAL EXPLORER EVEN INSIDE YOUR COUNTRY! I am proud to be your friend!

Badges & Stats in Kimmeridge

Have you been to Kimmeridge?