"Reading, Berkshire, England." Top 5 Page for this destination Reading by easyoar
Reading Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 381 photos
I've lived in or around Reading for most of my life, so I obviously have some affection for the place. Reading is a town that is constantly changing. Twenty years ago it was a bit of a dump. These days a lot of the dingier areas have been renovated or completely rebuilt and some bits of Reading are actually quite nice. A good example of this is the Oracle Centre. The outdoors part of which around the canal has a very cosmopolitan feel as there are many restaurants and bars along the canal side.
The title emphasises that this is the Reading, Berkshire in England, as I have also visited a Reading Berkshire in the U.S.!
Many years ago, Reading was famous for the 3 B's. These days there is some dispute as to exactly what the 3 B's stood for (Beer, Bricks?), but there is no doubt as to one of them - Biscuits.
The firm that made these biscuits (which is unfortunately no longer in existence) has had a long and benevolent relationship with Reading. This biscuit making firm is Huntley and Palmers. The biscuits made by Huntley and Palmers put Reading firmly on the map. They were bought out by Nabisco some years back. Whilst Huntley and Palmers may not mean much to people outside the UK, anyone in Britiain of around 30+ or so will immediately know the name.
The Palmer family have, over the years, donated land and money for many different projects all over Reading. This is reflected in names such as Palmer Park and the Palmer building on the University campus. The picture here shows their logo on the entrance to a park close to where their old headquarters used to be. It is still there today.
- Pros:These days it is getting quite cosmopolitan
- Cons:Bad traffic congestion
- In a nutshell:Getting to be more and more worthy of a visit
If you like 1960's type (this was probably 1970s actually) architecture of the concrete monstrosity type, then the... more travel advice
I have a colleague in the States who always stays in this hotel when he comes over. He swears it is the best hotel for... more travel advice
easyoar's Related Pages
Reading Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reading, Berkshire, England."
- "Reading..... also known as Reading :P"
- "Reading - Home is where the heart is"
- "Not In Anybody's Top 10 Places But....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reading
- Hotels in Reading
- Transportation in Reading
- Nightlife in Reading
- Restaurants in Reading
- Shopping in Reading
- Warnings and Dangers in Reading
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reading
- 30 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Reading?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reading
Photos in ReadingSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos