"Reading, Berkshire, England." Top 5 Page for this destination Reading by easyoar

Reading Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 381 photos

I've lived in or around Reading for most of my life, so I obviously have some affection for the place. Reading is a town that is constantly changing. Twenty years ago it was a bit of a dump. These days a lot of the dingier areas have been renovated or completely rebuilt and some bits of Reading are actually quite nice. A good example of this is the Oracle Centre. The outdoors part of which around the canal has a very cosmopolitan feel as there are many restaurants and bars along the canal side.

The title emphasises that this is the Reading, Berkshire in England, as I have also visited a Reading Berkshire in the U.S.!

Many years ago, Reading was famous for the 3 B's. These days there is some dispute as to exactly what the 3 B's stood for (Beer, Bricks?), but there is no doubt as to one of them - Biscuits.

The firm that made these biscuits (which is unfortunately no longer in existence) has had a long and benevolent relationship with Reading. This biscuit making firm is Huntley and Palmers. The biscuits made by Huntley and Palmers put Reading firmly on the map. They were bought out by Nabisco some years back. Whilst Huntley and Palmers may not mean much to people outside the UK, anyone in Britiain of around 30+ or so will immediately know the name.

The Palmer family have, over the years, donated land and money for many different projects all over Reading. This is reflected in names such as Palmer Park and the Palmer building on the University campus. The picture here shows their logo on the entrance to a park close to where their old headquarters used to be. It is still there today.

• Pros:These days it is getting quite cosmopolitan
  • Cons:Bad traffic congestion
  • In a nutshell:Getting to be more and more worthy of a visit
  • Last visit to Reading: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2005

• Ree123's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Advice from the RSPB is you should not give swans bread. It has no nutritional value. Get pellets from the pet shop, spinach, vegetable peelings or better still don't feed them. It only makes them reliant on humans.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Nice abbey ruins photo. I like Ruined castles or other monuments rather than perfect ones.

• alywang's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2007 at 4:13 AM

Nice home,sweet Home!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 3:30 AM

An amusing Reading page - I find myself stopping off here occasionally and am growing to quite like the place. Cheers, John.

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2006 at 1:51 PM

Andy, your pages always make me laugh. I AM amused!

• Justin_goa's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 11:07 PM

hi I have stayed in Renaissance Reading for 2 nights in 2003. It was good.. Had a discount when we booked through travel offer.. Nice information about Reading. Cheers!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2006 at 7:53 AM

I enjoyed reading about your hometown. Looks like a pleasant little city.

• May 21, 2006 at 3:08 PM

I can't remember ever visiting Reading, you make it look far more interesting than I imagined it ;-))

• iwys's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Did you know that statistically, Reading is the most average town in Britain? I've been there quite a few times, visiting relatives, going to football and even lived there for a while, but I've never done any sightseeing. Perhaps I should.

• chancay's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 7:27 AM

I just thought that there´s still quite a lot to do for you to fill all the places on your travel map ;-) ...saludos

easyoar Lives Here!

Badges & Stats in Reading

Have you been to Reading?

Latest Activity in Reading