"Royal Windsor - Home of the Queen" Top 5 Page for this destination Windsor by easyoar
Windsor Travel Guide: 420 reviews and 1,118 photos
The reason most people visit Windsor is because of the Royal connection.
The Queen still lives in Windsor Castle quite often (she has several official residences and moves between them).
It is this Royal Residence that brings most tourists to Windsor. This is Windsor Castle. It is the oldest continuously inhabited royal residence in Britain, and was initially built out of wood in 1070 by William the Conqueror.
King George V was so fond of Windsor castle, he changed his family surname from a very Germanic Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor, no doubt in an attempt to Anglicize the Royal Family at the same time!
Windsor is also quite a historic town, and has some very old and interesting buildings, as well as some seriously expensive property! You do need to be pretty affluent to live there...
A nice walk in Windsor is off from the Castle down the 'Long Walk' which is what you can see in the picture here. It can get pretty busy at times, and if you are really lucky, you might see one of the Royals out with their horses!
- Pros:A town with a huge amount of history
- Cons:Too expensive to live in, but few cons for the tourist
- In a nutshell:A must-see for overseas visitors
This tip is inspired my Mark (mtncorg), who has his own Corgi dog. In case you don't know, the Queen also has a... more travel advice
This is the view you will get as you walk up the last part of Peascod Street towards the castle (well you might not see... more travel advice
easyoar's Related Pages
Windsor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My biased viewpoint"
- "Royal Windsor - Home of the Queen"
- "Windsor Castle"
- "The Splendours of Windsor"
- "Windsor-the royal residences."
- "Historic and Lovely Windsor"
- " Windsor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Windsor
- Hotels in Windsor
- Transportation in Windsor
- Nightlife in Windsor
- Restaurants in Windsor
- Shopping in Windsor
- Warnings and Dangers in Windsor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Windsor
- 27 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Windsor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Windsor
Photos in WindsorSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos