"Monsanto - a beautiful village in Portugal" Top 5 Page for this destination Monsanto by easyoar
Monsanto Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 142 photos
Monsanto (the name these days has conotations with GM farming!) is a beautiful little village in Portugal that is famous for being Portugals most Portuguese looking village/town.
Another reason it is famous is that it is built around huge rocks that are scattered around, and some houses actually use rocks as walls. These houses can be extremely photogenic!
I visited Monsanto when I was driving between Lisbon and Madrid, I seem to remember that whilst it wasn't necessarily the most direct route, it wasn't a bad way of going either.
The best way of visiting Monsanto is to just park up and wander around the narrow streets, possibly climbing up as far as the castle on the hill, which gives somee stunning views down into the town!
- Pros:Beautiful, peaceful little village
- Cons:A little out of the way - may be too quiet for some!
- In a nutshell:Worth a day trip for anyone.
Whilst we didn't stay here, we went inside for a drink, and found it very pleasant and very friendly inside. The bar... more travel advice
There isn't too much to say about these castle steps really! You have to climb them to go up over the castle wall and... more travel advice
easyoar's Related Pages
Monsanto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portugal's 'Most Portugese' Village ?"
- "Monsanto - a beautiful village in Portugal"
- "Nature and architecture meet"
- "Monsanto - Portugal"
- "Monsanto Historical Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monsanto
- Hotels in Monsanto
- Transportation in Monsanto
- Restaurants in Monsanto
- Warnings and Dangers in Monsanto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monsanto
- 17 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Monsanto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monsanto
Photos in MonsantoSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos