"Monsanto - a beautiful village in Portugal" Top 5 Page for this destination Monsanto by easyoar

Monsanto Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 142 photos

Monsanto (the name these days has conotations with GM farming!) is a beautiful little village in Portugal that is famous for being Portugals most Portuguese looking village/town.

Another reason it is famous is that it is built around huge rocks that are scattered around, and some houses actually use rocks as walls. These houses can be extremely photogenic!

I visited Monsanto when I was driving between Lisbon and Madrid, I seem to remember that whilst it wasn't necessarily the most direct route, it wasn't a bad way of going either.

The best way of visiting Monsanto is to just park up and wander around the narrow streets, possibly climbing up as far as the castle on the hill, which gives somee stunning views down into the town!

• Pros:Beautiful, peaceful little village
  • Cons:A little out of the way - may be too quiet for some!
  • In a nutshell:Worth a day trip for anyone.
  • Last visit to Monsanto: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 26, 2004

• Jeanlyon's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Thank you - we are going there next year. Very useful. We will stay in the Pousada!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2006 at 3:12 PM

I didn't have a car when I was in Portugal, so unfortunately I didn't get to see any out-of-the-way towns like Monsanto. Looks like a fascinating place, but I would agree that it probably isn't the most Portuguese of cities.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 4:09 PM

Portugal has a warm welcome, they treat us like kings, you know, they love brazilians!;)

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 1:58 AM

What a weird little place! Great photo's...Blu

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2006 at 1:36 PM

What a strange town.. weird the way everything is built amongst the rocks.. Thanks for sharing

• cheesecake17's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2005 at 12:40 AM

very interesting place and a must see when going to portugal...thanks ......ursula

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2005 at 11:44 PM

I've got just a casual interest in Portugal. VT member Mariazinha has suggested a couple places to me, and I should perhaps include this one as well.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2005 at 3:12 PM

Thank you for that page on beautiful, peaceful little village I would never find by myself...

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2005 at 3:28 PM

The cow story sounds like a fairy tale :-) Or perhaps a Monty Python skit!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2005 at 6:32 AM

Monsanto should definitely be voted "Most Original". I was especially intrigued by the house built around a rock & the one built under a rock. Amazing!! Lori.

Badges & Stats in Monsanto

Have you been to Monsanto?

Latest Activity in Monsanto