"Granada - The Alhambra - An Arab Palace" Granada by easyoar
Granada Travel Guide: 2,005 reviews and 4,925 photos
Granada is one of the better known cities in Spain. It certainly isn't the biggest and it doesn't quite have the hustle and bustle of some of the other big Spanish Cities such as Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia or Valladolid, but it has one very important attraction that has turned a large part of Granada into a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
It all started around the 8th century AD when Granada (and a large part of Southern Spain) was invaded and occupied by Moorish forces from Africa. The Moors were Arabs and hence Muslim, and had some highly developed skills for the day. Granada had a golden age under the Moors from around 1238 to 1492. During this time period they constructed the masterpiece that we know today as the Alhambra.
The Alhambra was built as a palace for the Moorish rulers (sultans) of the time. Most of the contruction we see today was built around the mid-1300s. The Alhambra was supposed to symbolise heaven on earth. A recurring theme you find throughout the Alhambra is the tinkling of water. The sound of water falling was highly prized by the Moors, they had come from a much dryer land, and to be surrounded by the sound of water gurgling all around you must have indeed felt like heaven on earth to them.
- Pros:A stunning display of Moorish Architecture
- Cons:May be considered a little quiet by some
- In a nutshell:One of the highlights of Spain
If you look around in the Generalife Gardens, it is very likely that you will be able to see large cactus plants that... more travel advice
When you enter the Alhambra, your ticket will take you into to thre separate parts of the Alhambra. The Palace area is... more travel advice
easyoar's Related Pages
Granada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Granada"
- "Much More Than The Alhambra"
- "And How to fall in love with a city...."
- "Feel of Old Islam in Spain"
- "Beautiful architecture and fantastic views!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granada
- Hotels in Granada
- Transportation in Granada
- Nightlife in Granada
- Restaurants in Granada
- Shopping in Granada
- Warnings and Dangers in Granada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granada
- 13 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Granada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granada
- Commented on one of Dabs's Granada travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Where is Gibraltar?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Climbing the Tower at the Alcazar"
- Wrote a Review Cactus Fruits (Indian Figs) in the Generalife about Alhambra - Generalife Gardens in Granada Things to Do
- updated a Granada Travel Page "Granada - The Alhambra - An Arab Palace"
Photos in GranadaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Latest Granada hotel reviews
- Room Mate Migueletes
- 397 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Tryp Albayzin
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- 269 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Hotel Juan Miguel
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Hotel Plaza Nueva
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Alhambra Palace Hotel Granada
- 395 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hostal Austria
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Oasis Backpackers' Hostel Granada
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 20, 2013
- Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol
- 179 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Carmen Hotel
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Macia Plaza
- 199 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Hostal Sonia
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013