"Tenerife, An island of lava, blossom and animals" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife by easyoar
Isla de Tenerife Travel Guide: 1,422 reviews and 3,056 photos
Tenerife is part of the Canary Islands, which are Spanish territory, but are down alongside Africa. They are about 2 hours by plane from Madrid, and are one hour behind (they are in the same time zone as Britain - making it a good destination for British people at New Year wanting a bit of winter sun).
Being much further south than Spain (the weather is almost tropical), they don't tend to have much in the way of seasons, and if you visit in December, there is every chance that you will have nice bright sunny days where you can lie on the beach every day should you wish to. The down side of this of course is that you can gt caught up in a busy tourist merry go round, which won't be to everyones taste. In this case I would recommend renting a car and doing your own thing. It isn't to difficult to escape the melee.
One thing to note is that the native sand in Tenerife is black as it is made from volcanic rock. Some resorts however have imported sand from the Sahara Desert, making their beaches yellow.
Another reason to go to Tenerife is the huge amount of wildlife, both in captivity and in the wild. Please see my Tenerife General Tips for these. For me Loro Parque in Puerto de la Cruz was the highlight of the animal part of the island, and is well worth a visit, especially for people with young children. This park has amongst other things, Dolphins, Sealions, Parrots, Chimpazees, Gorillas, Tigers, Jaguars, Crocodiles and Penguins. All of them live in well designed habitats in a very beautiful park.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery, great animal parks - summer all year!
- Cons:Hordes of tourists and some dodgy roads
- In a nutshell:Great place to escape the European winter
If you walk past the Casa de la Aduana in Puerto de la Cruz, be sure to venture inside. It doesn't cost anything. If you... more travel advice
The church of Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de la Pena de Francia in Puerto de la Cruz (that's a bit of a mouthful!) can be... more travel advice
- See All By Push Bike
- Bright and colourful childrens toys
- See All Upmarket Local Food
- See All Narrow Roads
easyoar's Related Pages
Isla de Tenerife Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tenerife - Island Of Surprises"
- "Tenerife or the heaven in the Atlantic Ocean"
- "Tenerife, An island of lava, blossom and animals"
- "Who cannot be happy here?"
- "Tenerife - Love it or Hate it!!!"
- "Back to the Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de Tenerife
- Hotels in Isla de Tenerife
- Transportation in Isla de Tenerife
- Nightlife in Isla de Tenerife
- Restaurants in Isla de Tenerife
- Shopping in Isla de Tenerife
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Tenerife
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de Tenerife
- 64 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Isla de Tenerife?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Tenerife
- Commented on one of scottishvisitor's Isla de Tenerife travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Where is Gibraltar?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Strelitzia (or Bird of Paradise Flower)"
- Wrote a Review Very ornate interior to the Casa de la Aduana in Isla de Tenerife Things to Do
- updated a Isla de Tenerife Travel Page "Tenerife, An island of lava, blossom and animals"
Photos in Isla de TenerifeSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos