Moorea Transportation Tips by easyoar Top 5 Page for this destination
Moorea Transportation: 33 reviews and 32 photos
Rental Car at Titiroa Marae
Whilst it is not especially cheap to rent a car in Moorea, it can work out quite cost effective compared to paying someone else to take you to places (hotels are so expensive you don't tend to be staying long, so everything is done in a hurry, so Le Truck is not always feasible!).
You can rent cars by the day with unlimited mileage however bear in mind that Moorea is very small, so unless you planning on driving laps of the Island all day, you are unlikely to do big mileage!
Probably the best bet is to rent a car for a couple of days and try and do all your daytime excursions and evening trips whilst you have it. Then spend the rest of the time exploring your local beach. For instance if you are going to an evening performance at the Tiki Village, they can want almost $20 USD per person to pick them up (even if you are only staying a few kilometres away), this pays for about half the car and you get all day use of it too...
This picture shows the car we rented at Titiroa Marae, the wall at the end of the carpark is the Marae, not a carpark wall at all!
Type: Car/Motor Home
By far the cheapest way to get around Moorea is to use Le Truck. Le Truck is a bus that basically drives around the island, and you flag it down at a stop, and let the driver know when you need to get off - it can be flexible sometimes although it is supposed to use proper stops.
I can'tremember the exact cost, but it was the only thing I remember in Moorea that felt good value. However be aware that Le Truck does run on Tahiti time (i.e. it can be pretty late). If you are doing something to a budget then Le Truck is great. If you are in a hurry, get a car!
However Le Truck can be good for getting to and from the Ferry, as it stops right outside the ferry terminal, and seems to try and coincide its stops with the ferry arriving/departing.
I haven't got picture of Le-Truck myself, so this photo is courtesy of Tahiti Tourisme
The Moorea Express
There are several boats that leave to/from Moorea to Papeete (Papeete is the capital of Tahiti) a few times a day.
Unfortunately they all seem to depart at virtually the same time, so if you miss a boat, you can have several hours wait for the next one, so make sure you know what times the boats leave in advance and get there early as they depart promptly - they don't work on Tahitian time (i.e. late!).
From memory, the boat is around £5 (less than $10 US) for a single to Tahiti (returns are double), which actually maks it quite good value by Polynesian standards!
More Reviews (34)
- See All Fruit sellers on the side of the road
- See All The Tiki Village
- See All Batiks
- See All Spectacular Sunsets
- Hotel Hibiscus
- Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!
- See All Fiery Castration
- See All The Polynesians invented tattooing
- Borrow canoes for free at the...
- Try to bring everything you need!
- The Fruit Factory - seems to be...
Been to Moorea?Share your travels with the world!
easyoar's Related Pages
Moorea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Moorea, Tahiti's beautiful smaller sister"
- "Moorea ... The Perfect South Sea Island"
- "Moorea: My favorite Tahitian Island"
- "Moorea - Tahisian island paradise!!!"
- "Tahiti's Beautiful Neighbor"
- "Week # 1 of an Amazing Honeymoon - Moorea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moorea
- Hotels in Moorea
- Transportation in Moorea
- Nightlife in Moorea
- Restaurants in Moorea
- Shopping in Moorea
- Warnings and Dangers in Moorea
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tannenberg Hotels
- Gambar Hotels
- State of Rajasthan
- Mexico Beach Hotels
- Cabilao Island Hotels
Badges & Stats in Moorea
- 37 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Moorea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moorea
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Where is Gibraltar?"
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's Moorea travel pages
- updated a Moorea Travel Page "Moorea, Tahiti's beautiful smaller sister"
- Wrote a Review Fruit sellers on the side of the road in Moorea Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fruit sellers on the side of the road"
Photos in MooreaSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Latest Moorea hotel reviews
- Sofitel Moorea la Ora Beach Resort
- 483 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa
- 771 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea
- 462 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Hibiscus
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Moorea Camping
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2013
- Hotel Les Tipaniers
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 19, 2013