"Moorea, Tahiti's beautiful smaller sister" Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea by easyoar
Moorea Travel Guide: 319 reviews and 666 photos
If you have stumbled cross this page accidentally, then there is a good chance that you won't even now where Moorea is or indeed what it really is.
Moorea is a smaller, less developed (by this read not badly over-develped) and more beautiful than its sister Island of Tahiti. Moorea is part of the French Polynesian Society Islands of which Tahiti is the largest and most important, and by far the most well known. The name Moorea actually means 'Yellow Lizard'. Apparently this comes about from a legend where a huge yellow lizard opened up the two bays with two huge swipes from his tail.
Most people who go to Tahiti use it for its International Airport and get out as quickly as they can to islands such as Moorea and Bora Bora. Indeed Moorea is where many Tahitians go for weekend breaks, as it is far more relaxed that the more hectic and over-developed Tahiti.
Moorea is only 12 miles (20 km) from Tahiti, and is quite cheap to visit from Tahiti. Unfortunately this is one of the only cheap things in French Polynesia - only visit if your wallet needs to go on a crash diet, because you can rest assured it will be much lighter when it leaves than when it arrived!
Highlights of Moorea are the Lagoonarium (where you can swim with Turtles and sharks [yes - really!]), Tiki Village (where you see local people 'living' in a traditional way as well as an evening show with loclas dancing, preparing food and showing local crafts) and just generally driving round the island and enjoying the views and the beaches/watersports.
French Polynesia was born out of fire (there are extinct volcanoes everywhere), which may account for the fire dance ritual they perform here.
- Pros:Way, way better than Tahiti
- Cons:Still colossally expensive for what you get
- In a nutshell:If you must visit French Polynesia, come here.
One of the nice things when you are driving around the island is to come across a local fruit seller on the side of the... more travel advice
These colourful Batiks are sold all over the island. They are very colourful and look great blowing in the breeze. As... more travel advice
- Hotel Hibiscus
- Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!
- See All Fiery Castration
- See All The Polynesians invented tattooing
easyoar's Related Pages
Moorea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Moorea, Tahiti's beautiful smaller sister"
- "Moorea ... The Perfect South Sea Island"
- "Moorea: My favorite Tahitian Island"
- "Moorea - Tahisian island paradise!!!"
- "Tahiti's Beautiful Neighbor"
- "Week # 1 of an Amazing Honeymoon - Moorea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moorea
- Hotels in Moorea
- Transportation in Moorea
- Nightlife in Moorea
- Restaurants in Moorea
- Shopping in Moorea
- Warnings and Dangers in Moorea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moorea
- 37 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Moorea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moorea
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "RE: RE: Where is Gibraltar?"
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's Moorea travel pages
- updated a Moorea Travel Page "Moorea, Tahiti's beautiful smaller sister"
- Wrote a Review Fruit sellers on the side of the road in Moorea Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fruit sellers on the side of the road"
Photos in MooreaSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 210 reviews, 221 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 64 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia Intro, 68 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Intro, 53 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Segovia Intro, 46 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Kimmeridge Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahiti Intro, 32 reviews, 32 photos