"Aysgarth" Aysgarth by Cockleshell
Aysgarth Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 90 photos
So many times over many years I'd passed the signpost 'Aysgarth Waterfall' coming or going from here and there and was always disappointed that I'd never had the time to stop ...
Then one Monday in November following weeks of heavy rain I decided to make Aysgarth my destination for a day trip.
Leaving the car on the main road in the pretty village of Aysgarth I set off walking and soon noticed a sign on the side of a building 'this way to the waterfall' and so I followed it. It took me through muddy fields through interesting stiles (openings) in dry stone walls and presented me with lovely views of the valley and the hills beyond. Fifteen minutes later I reached the higher falls and I was not disappointed.. It's a really beautiful place.
The falls consists of higher falls, middle falls and lower falls and all are accessed by excellent walkways and are equally stunning. You can get very close to the river and the rocks make a great place for a picnic. I especially enjoyed exploring all the wonderful swirl holes and listening to the sound of the gushing water hurrying along it's way.
There is also a woodland walk to enjoy and there is a tea room and a gift shop housed in a cluster of lovely stone mill buildings next to the road bridge over the river close to the falls. I followed the road uphill back to Aysgarth, stopping to admire the church .. and wished I'd had more time to linger ...but it's always good to leave something for my next visit. I'm really looking forward to seeing Aysgarth carpeted in spring flowers... I will return.
- In a nutshell:A Lovely Day Out in the Yorkshire Dales National Park
Cockleshell's Related Pages
Aysgarth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Aysgarth Falls"
- "Wensleydale waterfalls"
- "Thundering Waters"
- "Oz goes to Aysgarth Falls"
- "Nice Falls and Church"
- "Where Robin Hood cam to Yorkshire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aysgarth
- Hotels in Aysgarth
- Transportation in Aysgarth
- Restaurants in Aysgarth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aysgarth
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Aysgarth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aysgarth
Photos in AysgarthSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- State of Kerala Intro, 34 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 22 reviews, 38 photos
- South Korea Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Tunisia Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Lebanon Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Gdansk Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Western Isles Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues