"A drive thru Tamil Nadu to Bangalore" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu by ushar
State of Tamil Nadu Travel Guide: 1,411 reviews and 4,052 photos
The name of the town is derived from the Yercaud Lake located at its centre. In Tamil, Yeri means lake and Kaadu means forest.
This quiet little hill station, in Salem District of Tamil Nadu is located on the Shevaroy hills of the Eastern ghats is the only one of its kind in northern Tamil Nadu. While the rest of this region is generally dry, including the predominantly short and rocky hills of the Eastern ghats, Yercaud presents a welcome contrast with its cool climate. The altitude of 1,515 metres above sea level and encompasses an area of 382.67 square kilometres, including the Reserve Forest.
The destination exhibits artefacts from the Stone Age that were found in the ancient shrine located near Pagoda Point. This point is around 5 km from the Yercaud Lake.
Yercaud was discovered in the 19th century by the British and attracted many Christian missionaries. It is believed that , the first human settlement in Yercaud have come from Kanchipuram. The settlement existed during the Telugu Kings, who captured the Tamil Thondai country.
This city is popular for oranges and coffee plantations. Many other fruits and spices were cultivated on the coffee estate in Yercaud such as jackfruit, oranges and guava and black pepper and cardamom.
Teak, sandalwood and silver oaks are present in abundance in the forest areas of Yercaud. Besides, the place is also popular for its wildlife which comprises animals like bison, deer, fox, snakes and birds like bulbuls, kites and sparrows.
The temperature of Yercaud ranges from 15o Celsius to 30o Celsius throughout the year. Though it is a year round destination, the ideal time to visit Yercaud is from October to June.
Must See places in Yercaud is ...
Lady\'s Seat, Gent\'s Seat and Children\'s Seat, Yercaud Town, Servarayan Temple, Sri Raja Rajeswari Temple, Botanical Garden, Tipperary View Point , Montfort School, Shevaroy Temple, Big Lake, Killiyur Falls, The Pagoda Point, Bears cave, The Grange, Anna Park, Arthurs Seat
We drove up to bangalore recently.
Started from TVM on 11th april. Our route was like this.
Trivandrum-kochi-Palghat-Coimbatore (Kovai) -udagamandalam-Mysore-Bangalore.
Bangalore -Selam- Yercadu-Kovai-selam-kochi-alapuzha-trivandrum.
Yet another wonderful experience..
Tamilnadu is a tourist paradise. A glorious culture. A rich tapestry of history . A nature's paradise of blue beaches and clear skies..... a modern state.
In December, Chennai celebrates her priceless heritage of carnatic, music and dance to present a galaxy of star artistes,old and new.
- In a nutshell:Enjoy the hills of Tamil Nadu
This quiet little hill station on the Shevaroy hills of the Eastern ghats is the only one of its kind in northern Tamil... more travel advice
ushar's Related Pages
State of Tamil Nadu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TAMIL NADU"
- "Tamil Nadu - The Land of Temples"
- "Temples and hill stations in Tamilnadu"
- "A drive thru Tamil Nadu to Bangalore"
- "Tamil Nadu"
- "people, kolams, flowers and temples"
- "Unique Tamilnadu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Tamil Nadu
- Hotels in State of Tamil Nadu
- Transportation in State of Tamil Nadu
- Nightlife in State of Tamil Nadu
- Restaurants in State of Tamil Nadu
- Shopping in State of Tamil Nadu
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Tamil Nadu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Tamil Nadu
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to State of Tamil Nadu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Tamil Nadu
Photos in State of Tamil NaduSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 41 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 25 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar Intro, 22 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Periyar Sanctuary Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos
- Singapore Intro, 2 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alappuzha Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Gujarat Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Varkkala Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue