"A post Monsoon trip to MUNNAR" Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar by ushar
Munnar Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 337 photos
Munnar is situated at the confluence of three mountain streams- Mudrapuzha, Nallathanni and Kundala. As it is located at the convergence of three rivers, which are Mudrapuzha, Nallathani and Kundala it got its name Munnar which is aptly given. 1600 above sea level, this hill station was once the summer resort of the erstwhile British Government in South India. Sprawling tea plantations, picture -book towns, windingh lanes and holiday facilties make this a popular resort town. Among the exotic flora found in the froests and grass lands here is the NEELAKURINJI.. This flower bathes the hills in blue in every twelve years, will bloom next in 2006 AD.
Munnar also has the highest peak in South India, Anamudi, which towers over 2695m.
Munnar is a nature lover's paradise. Set in the lofty greenery and serenity of Kannan Devan hills at an altitude of average 1700 ft it is home to some of the oldest and finest tea plantations in India.
Munnar offers a fascinating view of low-lying clouds and misty valleys. The hill resort has a cool pleasing climate. Gracious colonial style churches with ancient chandeliers and rosewood pews, luxurious estate clubs are the features of Munnar. The Pallivasal hydroelectric project, The Eravikulam national-park, which is home to the endangered Nilgiri Thar, are easily accessible from Munnar. Gaur, Langur, Lion tailed Macaque and Elephants can also seen here.
The Kundala tea plantation surrounding a lovely lake offers a breathtaking view of the region. You can visit the tea estate and can watch processing of tea and buy high quality tea from the plantation.
This hill station is situated in the Idukki District in the eastern part of Kerala, bordering the state of Tamil Nadu. Popularly known as Kashmir of the South, Munnar is well connected to all the cities in Kerala.
The nearest airport is at Kochi which is a little over 130 km away from the west of Munnar. A popular hideaway destination in South India, Munnar is at a distance of 160 km from Coimbatore and over 500 km from Mangalore.
The fertile soil of Munnar was used for the cultivation of cardamom, ginger, etc. in those days. It was the Spanish planters who brought Munnar to the limelight and the first notable personality to visit this place was the Duke of Wellington.
Munnar is an idyllic tourist destination with rolling hills, grasslands, dense forests, brooks and rivulets, diverse flora and fauna, numerous waterfalls, lakes, tea plantations and walking trails. The best time to visit Munnar is from the months of August to March.
Lady plucking tea leaves.......
When u drive up to Munnar these are the first thing which will catch ur eyes..
This is the place where we had stayed........Nostalgic memories make us wanting go there again and we are just waiting to go back and have another holiday :)
- Pros:A Must visit Pollution free place in the World.........
- In a nutshell:A place for all tastes -trekking, wildlife sancturay, waterfalls..u just name it
U get utility materials made of wood. There are few people selling these at the Mattupetty Dam. Wood carvings ... more travel advice
This lush green carpet of tea plants is situated 22 km from Munnar.A trip on the spendid reservoir is an unforgettable... more travel advice
ushar's Related Pages
Munnar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A post Monsoon trip to MUNNAR"
- "Munnar - A breath of fresh air!"
- "Munnar- India's answer to Sweden"
- "MUNNAR THE QUEEN OF THE NILGIRIS"
- "The fantastic world of Ayurveda"
- "Munnar is a famous hill station"
- "Munnar - A Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munnar
- Hotels in Munnar
- Transportation in Munnar
- Nightlife in Munnar
- Restaurants in Munnar
- Shopping in Munnar
- Warnings and Dangers in Munnar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munnar
- 22 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Munnar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munnar
Photos in MunnarSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 41 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 25 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar Intro, 22 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Periyar Sanctuary Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos
- Singapore Intro, 2 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alappuzha Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Gujarat Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Varkkala Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue