"Welcome to Kollam \ Quilon and Enjoy the Cashew" Quilon by ushar
Quilon Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 149 photos
Kollam or Quilon is the most picturesque and absorbing of the backwater town. It is an old sea port town on the Arabian coast, stands on the Ashtamudi lake. It is next to paradise for nature lovers. Being on the Kerala's one of the most historic ports, it was a stopover for Persians, Greeks, Romans and Arabs. A date with this town without staying overnight is like getting married but missing the honeymoon.
Kollam is located 71 kms to the North of Thiruvananthapuram and the center of the country's cashew trading and processing industry. One of the oldest ports on the Malabar coast. Kollam was once the port of International Spice Trade. Thirty percentage of this historic town is covered by renowned Ashtamudi Lake, making it the gateway to the magnificent backwaters of Kerala. The disstrict also has some interesting historic remnants and number of Templates built in the traditional architectural style. The history of the disric as an administrative unit can be traced back to 1835, when the tranvancore state consisted of two revenue division with headquarters of Kollam and Kottayam.
- Pros:Funtastic back water boat trips
- Cons:Beware of mosquitoes
- In a nutshell:It is worth visiting the place- Dont miss it in your kerala trip
ushar's Related Pages
Quilon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Backwaters- life can be so simple and nice"
- "Quilon/Kollam & The Backwaters"
- "Welcome to Kollam \ Quilon and Enjoy the Cashew"
- "Pictures of Quilon"
- "My Backwaters Experience Started Here..."
- "Kollom (Quilon) - Kerala"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quilon
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Quilon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quilon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 41 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 25 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar Intro, 22 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Periyar Sanctuary Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos
- Singapore Intro, 2 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alappuzha Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Gujarat Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Varkkala Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue