"Welcome to Trivandrum , My present Hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram by ushar
Thiruvananthapuram Travel Guide: 237 reviews and 510 photos
Thiruvananthapuram\ Trivandrum, the capital of Kerala is blessed with the presence of Lord Vishnu and Anantha ( the thousand- headed) serpent. Thus the name Thiruvananthapuram...This beautiful city built on seven hills.
Thiruvananthapuram , formerly known as Trivandrum, is a capital city of Indian state of Kerala. It is a beautiful sea side city located on west coast of India near the extreme south of the main land. The city is characterized by its undulating terrain of low coastal hills with narrow winding lanes and busy commercial alleys.With a population of 10,00,000 it is second biggest city in Kerala.
Thiruvananthapuram literally means Ananthapur, “the city of Anantha”. Aanantha is the puranic serpent Sesha on whom the Padnabha or Vishnu reclines. Sri Padmanabha swamy is the main deity of the temple and it is located at the centre of the city. Modern history begins with Marthandavarma, who is generally regarded as the father of modern Travancore and made Thiruvananthapuram as his capital. After Marthandavarma, it remained the capital of Travancore and after independence, became capital of Travancore Kochi. The accession of Maharaja Swathy Thirunal ushered in an epoch of cultural progress and economic prosperity also known as 'Golden Era'
The district is bounded by western ghats on the east and north, the fertile Kanniyakumari district of Tamil Nadu on south and Arabian sea on west.
Sri Padmanabha swami temple, Kovlam, vizhinjam, ponmudi, veli lagoon, kanaka kunnu palace, the science and technology muserum, varkala and kanyakumari etc are the most popular tourism attractions.
Trivandrum is well connected by, Rail, Air & Road.
For u to sit and relax...
- Pros:A city with beaches , hills, temples and back waters
- In a nutshell:"A City worth visiting"
Attukal Bhagavathy temple, situated 4 km from trivandrum city, is one of the ancient temple of kerala becomes alive with... more travel advice
The Beach & Lake is a privately owned Ayurvedic Resort, 8 kms south of Trivandrum International Airport. It’s nestled... more travel advice
ushar's Related Pages
Thiruvananthapuram Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Trivandrum , My present Hometown"
- "Trivandrum : The very relaxed Capital of Kerala"
- "Beachs,Fish,Rain&Umbrella :)))not in order."
- "Thiru-Vananthapuram - Abode of the snake!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thiruvananthapuram
- Hotels in Thiruvananthapuram
- Transportation in Thiruvananthapuram
- Nightlife in Thiruvananthapuram
- Restaurants in Thiruvananthapuram
- Shopping in Thiruvananthapuram
- Warnings and Dangers in Thiruvananthapuram
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thiruvananthapuram
- 25 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Thiruvananthapuram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thiruvananthapuram
- Posted in Travel Kochi Forum "Re: Area of Kochi"
- Commented on one of FruitLover's Thiruvananthapuram travelogues
- Uploaded a Photo to "ENJOY THE ONAM FESTIVAL OF KERALA"
- updated a Thiruvananthapuram Travel Page "Welcome to Trivandrum , My present Hometown"
- Wrote a Review Sankhumugham Beach in Thiruvananthapuram Off The Beaten Path
Photos in ThiruvananthapuramSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 25 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar Intro, 22 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Periyar Sanctuary Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos
- Singapore Intro, 3 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alappuzha Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Gujarat Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Varkkala Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue