"Varkala" Varkkala by ushar
Varkkala Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 91 photos
Varkala Beach: Located 54 km from Thiruvananthapuram, Varkala Beach is a calm sandy beach with a background of rocky cliffs. Known as the Papanasam beach, this beautiful locale is situated near a 2000-year-old temple and a popular Ayurvedic treatment center.
Varkala Beach is a quiet and isolated sandy expanse where you can have a relaxing beach holiday without the crowds and bustle of some of the busier beaches in Kerala.
Kerala is blessed with a large number of water bodies, including lakes, rivers and back waters. Sandy beaches, lush green forests and verdant hills add to the luster of this land.
Have you ever thought of having a lake-front get-away, that too in full view of the Arabian Sea? Would you like to swim a couple of lengths in the lake under a bright tropical sun and also savor a tall cool glass of your favorite drink on the shore? Are you interested in using a rod to fish in the lake, or would you rather accompany the local fishermen during their daily activity of fishing?
A drive of 40 Km from Trivandrum along the NH 47 will take you to Kallabalam. Turn to the left and proceed another 13 Km, you will see the breath taking beauty of Mother Nature in all her splendor. On one side of the road, you see the waves of Arabian sea. On the other side, you will meet the placid waters of Paravoor lake. You could stroll on the beach and see the 'pozhi', where the lake nudges the sea. The breeze will make you forget all tribulations of the city
The arabian sea separated from the 'Paravoor kayal '(paravoor back water) by a long strip of land studded with the swaying coconut trees. In monsoon excess water flows from the kayal in to the sea via the 'POZHI' – a sandy beach.
There is a boat club to take you on speed boat ride or on a safari cruise. For a more adventure person, paddle boating, row boating and para-sailing also available.
There are comfortable resorts around for those who like to stay put- you don’t need to burn a hole in your purse as there are non a/c rooms available from Rs 1000-1500 per night.
- Pros:The breathtaking view from the cliff is worth all the money u spent on this trip
- Cons:Beware of "fake ayurvedic massage parlours"
- In a nutshell:A delicious experience.
Written Sep 25, 2010
An afternoon in Varkala
Written Oct 7, 2010
My recent visit to Varkkala
ushar's Related Pages
Varkkala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "kappil river cruise"
- "Our Rest and Recuperation Beach Stop"
- "Varkala Beach"
- "Christmas on the beach!"
- "An afternoon in Varkala"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varkkala
- Hotels in Varkkala
- Nightlife in Varkkala
- Restaurants in Varkkala
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varkkala
- 1 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Varkkala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varkkala
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Kerala Intro, 40 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram Intro, 25 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar Intro, 22 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 7 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Periyar Sanctuary Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos
- Singapore Intro, 2 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alappuzha Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Gujarat Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Varkkala Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tamil Nadu Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Latest Varkkala hotel reviews
- Villa Jacaranda
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013