"Life under a bridge..." elmcarra's Profile

Who IS this person?

Ha-dee,
(howdy, short for how do you do),
I'm Christine and I reside in the Big D. What the D stands for in Big D is up to you. If youre not a fan of pickup trucks, scorching heat, flash floods, professional sports, rush hour traffic and tree-less vistas, Big D to you might mean Big Deal! Ive been living in dallas since my childhood...what the locals call a texas transplant. Ive nearly completed my education and am going to spend some time travelling before I have to start a career and be a responsible, contributing member of society..."mooooo". Before I resign myself to the herd theres a few things Id like to see and do and just be a student of life (versus institution) for a little while. I will try to get a few decent pics up so you can get a better idea of whats happening in dallas, until then!

Cutting: In cutting the rider goes into a herd of cattle and moves one cow out. He then places the horse between the cow and the rest of the herd. The rider drops his hand pressing on the horses mane to cue the horse to his target cow (called "hooking up"). The horses job is to then prevent the cow from returning back to the herd. Due to the strong herd instinct, a cow will try very, very hard to get back to it's herd and the horse will mirror its every move, blocking its path. If the cow stands still, a good cutting horse (intense and athletic) will get low to the ground and even tremble in anticipation of his "opponents" next move. The ranches of the West prized their cutting horses so much that only top hands were mounted on them. Cutting had and still has practical uses on cattle ranches, used to cut steer from the herd for various reasons; giving medical attention, branding, for sale/auction, etc... Horses with quick reflexes and an uncanny ability to anticipate and respond to the movements of cattle are said to have great "cow sense."

A still pic doesnt do the sport justice. Check out

www.nchacutting.com

and click on Triple Crown Winner link on left side to see video. Been riding since age 9. Jumping, dressage, western pleasure, reining, barrel racing. This is by far the most difficult riding Ive done. Blink at the wrong time and you'll be dusting off your britches! If you take the time to watch the video, please let me know what you think!

Beat the heat!

Yes,our summers are hot as hale! (see translation below) About the only thing to do is go to the lake. I have worked outdoors in the summertime and its interesting that by spending your days in the heat, you can become accustomed to it. Lately though, Ive spent most summers indoors which makes the transition into the heat much worse. We have many man made lakes built by the Army Corps of Engineers around forty years ago (I think). Lake lewisville is most notorious for wild parties but also alcohol related accidents...what is it with texans, beer, and motorized vehicles? Here is a photo of my husky "Aspen" having a swim at Eagle Mountain Lake. Suprisingly this lake is not too far from the city, however it remains relatively pristine. A lovely get away!

A lesson in Texas Twang: Whuddee say?

Please refer to the below translations:
Whuddee say - what did he say?
Teksiz or Teksuz - Texas
Har-yew? - How are you?
Ahm - I'm
Aht - out
A mess uh - unit of mass, a lot
Dern near - almost
Ett - ate
Plum - totally
Tuckered - tired, figurative
Tard - tired, literal
Do what? - "please repeat that" (usually means "I didnt hear you")
Do what now? - "I dont understand, please explain"
Goshdawg - exclamation
Dawggonnit - excl. of frustration
High tail it - go at a rapid speed, pron. "hah tell it"
Hit the road - leave
Hollard/yaled - yelled
Hell - Hail (weather condition)
Hale - Hell
Bigole - very large
Did-jever - have you ever
Y'un-too? - You want to?
Shootfire - of course
Hot damn! - exclamation
Auda do - should do
Aughten to - ought not to
A spell - a while
Dadgumit - curse word of exasperation
Hooooo-we! - exclamation, usually joyful
Where 'bouts yew frum? - What is your hometown
Howdja git here? - reason for ones relocation
Mosey on down yonder- walk in that direction a ways.
Hootin en hollerin - carrying on, throwing a tantrum
Chew'daht - (chewed out) to be told off by someone "Ah got chew'd aht ugin (again) fer bein late" , to tell someone else off: "Paw (dad) dun chew'deem aht cuz he fergot tuh feed-zem cheekins" (feed them chickens).
Zackly - precisely
Zat - is that
Yer - your
Cuntinya - continue
Gwon - go ahead
Eel - sick or ill
Bad off - in real bad shape Beholden - indebted to
That thar - to specify an object
Cheer - furniture used for sitting Setchurself down - please be seated
Shir 'nuff - affirmative
Drank - a beverage or verb: to drink Get by with - to get away with Figger - figure
Jess/jest - just
Skeeters/miskeet-us and Chiggers - dern bugs that annoy the "hale" out of a person
Nut'nduin - I will not, would not, could not, should not do that
Nuf - enough
Uwl/ull - oil
Didji - did you, Didji know or didji hear
Pawny-ac - Pontiac
Yeller/yella - yellow
Buy me - make a purchase for myself - used as a verb seems to be unique to the South
Auta - should
Ain'tcha - aren't you
Shirnuf - sure enough
Perttier 'n a speckled pig - gorgeous,stunning
Mah - my
Out chander - out yonder, opposite of rat cheer (right here)
Fergit - opposite of remember
Banes - beans
Flares - flowers
Raffle - rifle "fer huntin and shootin"
Fixin' tuh - about to
Fair tuh Midland - response to question 'how's it going?', meaning 'fine' (Fair to Midland)

Credit goes to:
I did some minor tweaking!

Let's see how you do:

Here are some sentences for you to interpret. Lemme know how you do:
"I ett way too much at Earl's barba-que on Sundee"
"Didji see what that hell storm did to mah pih-kup?"
"Aw hale Junior! yuh durn near hit that thar dawg with yer pih-kup!"
"That thars uh bigole shyner yuh got in that brawl Fridee naht (Friday night)."
"Come on over en visit fer a spell"
"Zat yer dawg?"
"What's yer name darlin?"
"You gwon en cuntinya hootin en hollerin but it wont do no good."
"Joe Bob's eel in the hospital enna (and the) doc says he's real bad off! "
"I'm right beholden to ya fer loanin me that thar huntin' dawg."
"Pull yerself up that thar cheer and setchursef down fer a spell."
"Y'all want sumthin tuh drank?"
"Becky-Sue will never let you get by with that farfetched story."
"That Miss Brandy's got a real nass (nice) figger!"
"That ull well dun dried up year-zago"
"Ahm gunna buy me a bran-new Pawny-ac."
"Ahma buy me a bran-new yeller pawny-ac. "
"I auta go to work but ahm tard."
"I'ze (I was) barn-in Teksiz."
"Who, Earl? He ded."
"Ahm hevin some folks over after sundee (sunday) skewl."
"Lay them books rat cheer."
"Shirnuf, yers "pertty" as my pickup truck and "perttier" than mah dawg."
"My arm kahnder hurts a tad bit."
" Ah jest luv-zem peentow banes." (pinto beans)
"Them wild flares bloom in the sprang." (sprang = springtime)
"Ahm fixin tuh get reddy fer church, we caint be late ugin." (caint = cant, ugin = again)

• Intro Updated Jul 27, 2004

• fdrich29's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Happy Birthday! I love your Texas to English Dictionary! Hope you had a great day!

• Sep 9, 2007 at 3:15 PM

don't forget to log in once in a while..

• Jan 16, 2006 at 5:03 AM

please check out my website hurricanesaltgrass@yahoogroups.com

• acrijk's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2005 at 7:11 AM

As a transplant myself, glad to get the translation! I am so glad that you are going to take the time and travel befor becoming a grown-up! I've had a couple of those chances and hope everyone does so! Terr it up!

• glennkasner's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2004 at 10:35 PM

Wishing you and your family a happy new year! Maritha & I will be seeing in 2005 in the little Namaqualand town of Springbok - about 600km from here. Driving up in a few hours time.

• ecoquester's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2004 at 9:00 AM

So tell me lady, you still in the cape or have you moved on. I'm in SA for the whole of November???

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2004 at 7:23 AM

Gosh dawg! You live under a bridge? Do what now? You must be Tuckered after cuttin That thar Buffalo

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 10:15 PM

Hi Christine, thanks for the lovely comment. Oh I am just very simple when it comes to the horse. Just western pleasure riding is all. Looks like you are doing great things on your horses. You go cowgirl!

• manuelEB's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 8:46 AM

Oh!! Texas tongue for beginners!!!!

• unexplored's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 7:40 AM

A scholar of the often misunderstood texas speech.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
elmcarra's Profile Photo

elmcarra

“If you find me living under a bridge, I've gone bust. Please mail me home.”

Real Name