"Madness in Monterrey" Top 5 Page for this destination Monterrey by DriftingDavila

Monterrey Travel Guide: 305 reviews and 582 photos

Escape into Monterrey

My husband and I were looking for an escape from our ordinary hum-drum lives when we decided to go to Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. We live in Edinburg, Texas, for those of you who don't know where that is, its about 20 minutes north of the Mexican/American border. So instead of going to San Antonio or Austin we headed South. We started our trip with a little hesistation, as we were told that Mexico is a very dangerous place to visit especially for a GRINGA, even though my husband is Hispanic. I can truthfully say that I didn't get that many looks as I would if I were in Reynosa Mexico (a border town), the people were all very nice and respectful.

Upon our arrival back in the U.S. my husband and I couldn't believe the drastic difference between the two countries that share a border. It was so quiet here, I couldn't hear any cars or bus horns blasting. Oddly enough we somehow found Monterrey to be an relaxing escape.

Beautiful Views

Its seems like almost anywhere you look in Monterrey you will see a mountain.

This picture is of a festival that was in the Macro Plaza with the mountain in the backpack.

Can you believe the views?

I just love this picture...the sky is so blue.

• Pros:Good cheap food and beer, friendly people, great night clubs!
  • Cons:I can't think of any right now.
  • In a nutshell:Can't wait to get back!
  • Last visit to Monterrey: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 27, 2004

• Nov 4, 2004 at 11:03 PM

More times than not, we Americans cause more trouble for ourselves when travelling abroad. As long as you're kind & respectful, you will never have a problem in Mexico.

• devmicha's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 10:50 AM

Sounds like a great place. Thank you for visiting my page and good luck to you and all your family.

DriftingDavila

“Grab your backpack and get your ass in gear!!”

Badges & Stats in Monterrey

Have you been to Monterrey?

Latest Activity in Monterrey