"Kosice.....the capital of East Slovakia!" Kosice by maltese24
Kosice Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 401 photos
The first signs of inhabitance can be traced back to the end of the older stone age. The first written mention of the suburb can be dated back to the year 1230. Due to it's advantageous business and strategical position, the City of Kosice grew quickly. The given privileges were helpful in developing crafts, business, increasing importance and for the development of this city. The oldest guild regulations were registered from the year 1307 and the city received it's own coat-of-arms in 1369; the city of Kosice has the oldest coat-of-arms from among all cities in Europe. Since the beginning of the 15th century, the city had been in the leading position of Pentapolitana - which was the alliance of five eastern Slovak cities. Since 1347 until the beginning of 18th century, the City of Kosice has kept the position of the second city after Budin in the monarchy. In 1657, due to the City's economical, administrative and political importance, the first university was established. Later, the university was changed into a royal university and then to the Law Academy which operated until 1921.
- Pros:clean city with beautiful buildings and friendly people!
- Cons:few people can speak english
Architecture in Kosice, and also in east Slovakia is very prominent.....Some buildings have absolutely fascinating stles... more travel advice
Well, east Slovakian cities are really full of tulips! i could not stop taking pictures of them, not only in Kosice but... more travel advice
maltese24's Related Pages
Kosice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kosice - Metropolis of Eastern Slovakia"
- "The Significant Kosice"
- "Kosice - the perfect base for any trip in Slovakia"
- "Ben-UK's Kosice page"
- "Kosice With Family"
- "The far end of Slovakia"
- "Fiasco in Kosice - The "Fully Booked" Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kosice
- Hotels in Kosice
- Transportation in Kosice
- Nightlife in Kosice
- Restaurants in Kosice
- Warnings and Dangers in Kosice
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kosice
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Kosice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kosice
Photos in KosiceSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Strbske Pleso Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Croatia 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Malta Intro, 10 reviews, 5 photos
- Slovakia Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Kosice Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Presov Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Dalmatia - Split Region 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Bratislava 1 review, 4 photos
- Vienna 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Maldives 1 review, 3 photos