"Just Aberdeen" Aberdeen by Minashka

Aberdeen Travel Guide: 492 reviews and 907 photos

City full of churches

Aberdeen was pretty much like I expected it to be... Small but pretty town in beautiful Scotland. I had always dreamt of visiting Scotland but unfortunately I didn't get to see much of it. I did see Elgin however but would've loved to get to Edinburgh as well. I liked Aberdeen even though there isn't much to do there. I must admit that shopping and bar hopping on Union Street was a lot of fun even though I don't drink.

What really amazed me first of all was the number of churches. But what was even more amazing was the fact that they had been turned into bars/pubs, offices and residence places, etc. How ironic... people go to the god's house to get drunk! Speaking of which, it's not unusual to see drunkards on the streets in the evenings. Well you can imagine how cold Scotland is in December and would you believe that most of the girls were wearing really short skirts and summer sandals only? So that was another shock for me :)))

I guess I'll stick to my tradition of devoting my last intro paragraph to the people of the particular place that I've visited. Scottish people are great fun :) I had many Scottish colleagues working in oil companies in Azerbaijan and for the longest time I babysat for Scottish families living in Baku. The chidren are always well behaved and the parents love to go out! The people I met in Aberdeen were always nice and polite and I must admit that I just love their accent :)

• Pros:Good restaurants, shops, fresh air
  • Cons:Too cold and a bit expensive
  • In a nutshell:City with mostly oilmen
  • Last visit to Aberdeen: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2011

Minashka

“there is never a bad time for traveling”

Badges & Stats in Aberdeen

Have you been to Aberdeen?

Latest Activity in Aberdeen