"Efes - a place of wonders" Ephesus by Minashka
Ephesus Travel Guide: 509 reviews and 1,925 photos
I had heard much of Efes and finally decided to make the trip this summer! I was in Denizli, visiting a very good friend and when she told me that Efes was only 3 hours away I was thrilled! I took the bus early in the morning from Denizli to Selcuk and from there got on the "dolmush" (van) - only 15 mins to Efes :) It was a beautiful day and wasn't too hot thank god!
The entrance fee was 15 YTL for foreigners and only 3 YTL for locals. I am so glad I can speak Turkish - I always pass for a local and it's great when it comes to paying for museums ;-) Just so you know, it takes about 2-3 hours to finish the whole site. I met a very nice couple from Cataluna and we explored this ancient city together. I will never forget this wonderful day spent in Efes... making friends, seeing history and having loads of fun!
So what can I tell you about Ephesus? It used to be a great city - only ruins of it are left now, but those are some ruins! Very well preserved I must say... There were a lot of tourists on the day I visited but still it couldn't stop me from enjoying the might and the beauty of this place. Basically it took my breath away as soon as I stepped thru the gate. I enjoyed walking thru the ruins and admiring the amazing architecture! They knew how to build back then, don't think anyone would be able to do anything like this now...
According to the old legends, Ephesus was founded by the female warriors known as the Amazons. So the name of the city is thought to have been derived from "APASAS", city of the Mother Goddess". Ephesus was inhabited from the end of the Bronze Age onwards, but changed its location several times in the course of its long history in accordance with habits and requirements.
So that's Ephesus for you!
- Pros:Great walking, totally cool sightseeing
- Cons:Too hot in the summer
- In a nutshell:More ruins in one place than you'll ever see!
Minashka's Related Pages
Ephesus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WONDER OF EPHESUS"
- "Ephesus - Ancient city"
- "The Inspiring Roman Ruins of Ephesus"
- "Ephesus the open air Museum"
- "Ephesus (Efes) and Nearby Selcuk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ephesus
- Hotels in Ephesus
- Transportation in Ephesus
- Nightlife in Ephesus
- Restaurants in Ephesus
- Shopping in Ephesus
- Warnings and Dangers in Ephesus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ephesus
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Ephesus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ephesus
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baku Intro, 30 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Azerbaijan Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naxcivan Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- United States of America Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Georgia Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Bodrum Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- London Intro, 3 photos