"What lies Beyond Narita Airport" Top 5 Page for this destination Narita by Wild_Orchid

Narita Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 237 photos

Naritasan Shinsoji Temple

On my second visit to Japan in May 2005, I had a morning flight out of Narita airport. This time, I decided to stay overnight at Narita town, rather than at an ubiquitous American Chain hotel. Well, I'm glad I did because there's more to Narita than just the airport!

I would like to say a Special thank you to VT'er manuel_eb and one time frequent traveller to NaritaMike Newman for helping with information relating to this quaint and interesting little town.

Narita Airport-Your Gateway to Japan

Arrival: In late 1994, I arrived at Narita Airport slightly groggy from my 7+ hour overnight flight from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, via Singapore's Changi Airport.

The toilets at Narita were spotless and we managed to freshen up quite comfortably, before heading to the immigration counter. This was completed with minimal fuss despite the number of arrivals. Clearing customs took a bit longer as the female officer wanted me to open my luggage bag. (I had only 1 bag!) She then shot me a few questions in staccato-English. Fortunately, I managed to understand and replied accordingly. My colleague who was standing near me was amazed because she thought that our entire conversation sounded like it was being conducted in Japanese!

Outside, I spotted a water cooler, so I avoided buying any mineral water (my first taste of just how expensive it was in Japan...).

Departure: From the Narita Excel Hotel, we joined the shuttle coach to the airport. It was basically uneventful.

When I arrived at the airport, I got a friend to take a picture of me at the airport car-park to remind me of the airport, and also to remember how bloated my face looked after having slept for only 2 hours on the plane! LOL

• Pros:Narita town is a little Gem that should be explored if you have the time
  • Cons:it is rather a distance between the town and the airport
  • In a nutshell:more than just an airport. Make time to check out the rustic town and Naritasan temple
  • Last visit to Narita: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2007

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Ryokan should always be included on visits to Japan, at least two nights for calming the soul ;-)))

• Dec 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM

sorry to comment but the flower is obviously "petunia", not Azalea

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Nice tips for our stop over at narita en route london in July.thanks for sharing.rgds kashi

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 8:35 AM

Hi Its great you showed the worth of visiting Narita, not only flying from or into this city. Bu I have never been there myself. Greetings

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 11:18 PM

(~_~)

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Great information! The airline I work for has a hub at NRT so I will have to take your advice and explore the area.

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 4:15 PM

It's great to see more shopping tips for Narita Airport. Also the ryokan alternative is a great idea for travellers who are stuck in Narita without one of those wonderful hotel vouchers issued by the airlines.

• Jan 8, 2006 at 8:28 AM

Hi W_O, Great pic's and info on Narita. p.s. Your Home Page is really very special! So much warmth in your family pictures.

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 10:04 PM

My Narita experience is only in & out of Japan. Sigh!!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2005 at 10:59 PM

You craggy tree hugging hippy you :-)

Wild_Orchid

“... not seeking new lands, but seeing with new eyes”

Badges & Stats in Narita