"Nikko - A World Heritage Site" Nikko by Wild_Orchid
Nikko Travel Guide: 301 reviews and 917 photos
The Shrines and Temples of Nikko
Nikko was listed as a World Heritage Site in 1999, becoming the tenth in Japan to achieve this status and recognition. Nikko is where nature's special beauty of centuries old cedar trees merge with the shrines and temples built in the honour of Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate. Ieyasu was a military strongman who unified Japan and was so powerful that he started the rule of the Shoguns, a political legacy that would last for 250 years.
The cover picture shows the lavish Yomeimon Gate which is decorated with beautiful and unusual scupltures and carvings, some covered in gilt and gold leaf that shone in the sunlight.
The Tosho-gu Shrine & Mausoleum
The Tosho-gu shrine and mausoleum is said to be Japan's largest and finest shrine and funerary complex. Tokugawa Ieyasu, was enshrined in the Toshugu Shrine in 1616. More than 1,500 craftsmen and artists were brought to Nikko to complete the shrine which was completed by Ieyasu's grandson & heir, Tokugawa Iemitsu in 1636 at a cost of more than $250 million. 8 of the 55 facilities here have been designated as "National Treasures" and all the rest of them as "Important Cultural Properties".
Lake Chuzen, Nikko
No visit to Nikko would be complete without a visit to the nearby Lake Chuzen area. Our coach tour took us up the famous Iroha zig-zag slope to the Lake Chuzen area for lunch and to view the Kegon Waterfall. Much to our delight, due to the cold weather, late blooming cherry blossoms could still be found on the trees around Lake Chuzen. It was a photographer's delight!
- Pros:Amazing historical Shrines & Temples and Marvellous Scenery
- Cons:I've not found any.
- In a nutshell:Don't say Magnificent until you have Seen Nikko!
Along the cedar-lined path heading towards the main shrine complex from the car park area, you will find this stone... more travel advice
The Yomeimon gate is also called Higurashino-mon. (“The Gate where people spend all day long looking.”) The name of the... more travel advice
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Nikko Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nikko - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "The Temples of Nikko"
- ""Nikko is Nippon""
- "History and Nature Tours All in One!"
- "Nikko - A World Heritage Site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nikko
- Hotels in Nikko
- Transportation in Nikko
- Restaurants in Nikko
- Shopping in Nikko
- Warnings and Dangers in Nikko
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nikko
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Nikko?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nikko
Photos in NikkoSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos