"Tokyo - I love this place ! Old, New, & Happening" Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo by Wild_Orchid

Tokyo Travel Guide: 4,096 reviews and 10,118 photos

My first visit in August 2004

How do I even begin to describe Tokyo? Let me start with my first impressions:

Screaming neon lights & skyscrapers,
Crowded Train Stations
(clean, tidy, no graffiti to be seen anywhere),
Festivals & Colourful Street Parades,
Trendy Young People
(most that we met were very polite & respectful),
Car Showrooms,
Electronic Gadgets & Cameras,
Impeccably manicured Gardens

I was in Tokyo for a whirlwind 5-day tour. From our base at Shinjuku Washington Hotel, my tour covered the shopping district of Times Square in Shinjuku itself, the nightlife district of Kabukicho, the commercial and up-market district of Ginza, Ropponggi Hills and Nightlife at Roppongi, historical Asakusa & Meiji Shrine & its surroundings, Ueno and the future world of Pallette Town, Odaiba. We also had a day out at Hakone, and overnighted at Narita (see my
Narita pages).

...and this is barely scratching the surface.

Yokoso Japan!

Due to a special travel offer from MAS, I revisited Tokyo in May 2005, this time with my husband in tow. Instead of a guided tour, we did it all on our own. Pre-preparation through the internet (including VT and its helpful members, especially sweet Ayurin, Tokyo-native stonefree and Tsukuba's own mystery man manueleb) helped tremendously. We managed to cover quite a bit and really had a great time. During this second trip, we stayed at the Century Hyatt Hotel, Shinjuku and took a day trip out to Nikko and DisneySea. By Lake Chuzen, near Nikko, we caught the sight of beautiful pink mountain azaleas in full bloom.

We also spent a day at Narita town and visited the famous Naritansan Temple

Cleanliness is next to Godliness-alternatively known as The Onsen Experience

Enjoying an Onsen spa is a unique experience something no tourist to Japan should miss. The one I visited was in the Odaiba area - I found it charming, albeit a bit crowded. We went on a Sunday and it was filled with local tourists who spend time there bathing in the traditional manner. You would need a good 3-4 hours here in order to fully relax and appreciate your onsen experience.

• Pros:Unique people & culture, orderly and much greener than I had imagined
  • Cons:It's really expensive!
  • In a nutshell:Words could not describe this place-come and see it for yourself!
  • Last visit to Tokyo: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated May 14, 2007

• Bavarianbuddy's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I ate the Fugu fish last March in a restaurant in Yokohama and - how you can see - I am still alive.

• xymmot's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Great Tokyo page. i hope I can make one as good as yours. I will do Tokyo again and have save some of your tips. Chees Tommy x

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Great tip! Tower Record even had Irie Love CD's, so you can't beat it!

• machomikemd's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2009 at 3:18 PM

very informative tips. thank you for sharing. i will be in tokyo in 2 3 weeks time.

• Aug 25, 2009 at 6:40 PM

*g*... the three woman dancing on the table... they were "working" there. i (male) was drinking a some beers with my friends over there and after some minutes a guy was coming and asking:" wanna have a lady......"

• Joseph69's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2009 at 8:58 PM

What a great read. Very entertaining! Thank You. Yeah, OK, you didn't go inside HMB. Haha! ;) Great tip on TMG Towers. I look forward to my visit this weekend. Cheers, Joseph.

• bluezinc's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Once you get over the nekkidness bit, you realize that you've never truly had a bath until right then. Every westerner I've introduced to traditional onsens comes out feeling like a million bucks. One guy came out and went, "I feel like Jesus!"

• EllieEllie's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Hi, you gave me a great idea about Daidaya restaurant)) But how did you make a reservation? Did you call them or maybe there is a mail adress? It would be super if you share their mail adress with me )) Thanx

• monica71's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Great tips! I am planing a trip to Tokyo and Kyoto and I found your pages very helpful.

• loisl's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM

I will read your tips again before I fly off for my next Tokyo trip...somewhen.....loisl

Wild_Orchid

“... not seeking new lands, but seeing with new eyes”

Badges & Stats in Tokyo