"Tokyo - I love this place ! Old, New, & Happening" Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo by Wild_Orchid
Tokyo Travel Guide: 4,146 reviews and 10,285 photos
My first visit in August 2004
How do I even begin to describe Tokyo? Let me start with my first impressions:
Crowded Train Stations
(clean, tidy, no graffiti to be seen anywhere),
Festivals & Colourful Street Parades,
Trendy Young People
(most that we met were very polite & respectful),
Electronic Gadgets & Cameras,
Impeccably manicured Gardens
I was in Tokyo for a whirlwind 5-day tour. From our base at Shinjuku Washington Hotel, my tour covered the shopping district of Times Square in Shinjuku itself, the nightlife district of Kabukicho, the commercial and up-market district of Ginza, Ropponggi Hills and Nightlife at Roppongi, historical Asakusa & Meiji Shrine & its surroundings, Ueno and the future world of Pallette Town, Odaiba. We also had a day out at Hakone, and overnighted at Narita (see my Narita pages).
...and this is barely scratching the surface.
Due to a special travel offer from MAS, I revisited Tokyo in May 2005, this time with my husband in tow. Instead of a guided tour, we did it all on our own. Pre-preparation through the internet (including VT and its helpful members, especially sweet Ayurin, Tokyo-native stonefree and Tsukuba's own mystery man manueleb) helped tremendously. We managed to cover quite a bit and really had a great time. During this second trip, we stayed at the Century Hyatt Hotel, Shinjuku and took a day trip out to Nikko and DisneySea. By Lake Chuzen, near Nikko, we caught the sight of beautiful pink mountain azaleas in full bloom.
We also spent a day at Narita town and visited the famous Naritansan Temple
Cleanliness is next to Godliness-alternatively known as The Onsen Experience
Enjoying an Onsen spa is a unique experience something no tourist to Japan should miss. The one I visited was in the Odaiba area - I found it charming, albeit a bit crowded. We went on a Sunday and it was filled with local tourists who spend time there bathing in the traditional manner. You would need a good 3-4 hours here in order to fully relax and appreciate your onsen experience.
- Pros:Unique people & culture, orderly and much greener than I had imagined
- Cons:It's really expensive!
- In a nutshell:Words could not describe this place-come and see it for yourself!
For shopping of a different type (i.e. traditional and not in a typical shopping mall), take the train to Ameyoko area.... more travel advice
Quite frankly I can't remember stepping in to a McDonalds while I was in Tokyo. However, I did take the picture outside... more travel advice
- See All Stay a Night at a Ryokan (Traditional...
- See All A Nice Business hotel in Shinjuku-Part 2
- See All Motown Greats
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Tokyo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "T o k y o"
- "Tragedy in Japan"
- "Tokyo - I love this place ! Old, New, & Happening"
- "Tokyo East Tokyo West"
- "livingstonefree tokyo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tokyo
- Hotels in Tokyo
- Transportation in Tokyo
- Nightlife in Tokyo
- Restaurants in Tokyo
- Shopping in Tokyo
- Warnings and Dangers in Tokyo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tokyo
- 57 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 89 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Tokyo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tokyo
- Uploaded a Photo to "Exploring Tokyo on the JR and other train lines"
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Any Good Restaurant to..."
- Wrote a Review Dried & fresh seafood & snacks about Ameya Yokocho - Ameyoko in Tokyo Shopping
- updated a Tokyo Travel Page "Tokyo - I love this place ! Old, New, & Happening"
- Commented on one of traveldans's Tokyo travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos