"Rhine Falls, near the town of Schaffhausen" Schaffhausen by Wild_Orchid
Schaffhausen Travel Guide: 173 reviews and 606 photos
I first visited the Rhine Falls as part of a quasi "second-honeymoon" tour that covered a number of European countries. My husband and I joined Trafalgar Tours, a tour that begin when we arrived at Heathrow Airport in August 1997.
After overnighting at the Forum Hotel near London, we drove through the Kent countryside to the white cliffs of Dover and took a ferry across to Calais in France. From there, we drove to Belgium and onwards to Holland.
After a morning tour of Amsterdam, and Cologne to see the awesome gothic Cathedral, we drove via Bonn to the Rhine Valley for a Cruise of River Rhine.
First stop: Heidelberg Castle, and the University City of "student prince" fame. Next stop, the Black Forest and Lake Titisee and after a short break to pick up some souveniors, here we are at the Rhine Falls at Schaffhausen on the Swiss Border. I recall crossing the border was pretty easy and was amazed at the lack of formalities.
The water at the Rhine Falls is clear and clean, a striking emerald green colour that sparkles brightly in the morning sun. To complete the magnificent spectacle, in the picture, you can also see the turreted Castle Schloss Laufen on a cliff directly above the falls to the south.
On August 1 – the Swiss National Day – there is a huge fireworks display mounted on the riverside, making the view of the Rhine Falls even more remarkable.
Fast forward to 2002 and there I was at the same waterfalls again. As you can see, this time, despite having just flown in that morning (having landed at Zurich airport this time) I am more relaxed, and was sitting waiting for a cup of coffee. Unfortunately as it was still pretty early, nothing was open at that time of the morning and the coffee that we had later was entirely self-service from a vending machine.
- In a nutshell:The Largest Falls in Europe!
Although we were told to get back on the coach, I couldn't resist another chance to get one last picture with the... more travel advice
After checking out the awesome sight of the Rhine Falls, it was time to take a break and rest my tired feet. Looked... more travel advice
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Schaffhausen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In searching for waterfalls on the Rhine"
- "A NATURE WONDER"
- "Schaffhausen - A little look into Switzerland"
- "Schaffhausen, the Rhine Falls, and a VT Meeting"
- "Schaffhausen and Rheinfalls"
- "Rhine Falls, near the town of Schaffhausen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schaffhausen
- Hotels in Schaffhausen
- Transportation in Schaffhausen
- Nightlife in Schaffhausen
- Restaurants in Schaffhausen
- Shopping in Schaffhausen
- Warnings and Dangers in Schaffhausen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Schaffhausen
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Schaffhausen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schaffhausen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos