"Rhine Falls, near the town of Schaffhausen" Schaffhausen by Wild_Orchid

Schaffhausen Travel Guide: 173 reviews and 606 photos

I first visited the Rhine Falls as part of a quasi "second-honeymoon" tour that covered a number of European countries. My husband and I joined Trafalgar Tours, a tour that begin when we arrived at Heathrow Airport in August 1997.

After overnighting at the Forum Hotel near London, we drove through the Kent countryside to the white cliffs of Dover and took a ferry across to Calais in France. From there, we drove to Belgium and onwards to Holland.

Day 2:
After a morning tour of Amsterdam, and Cologne to see the awesome gothic Cathedral, we drove via Bonn to the Rhine Valley for a Cruise of River Rhine.

Day 3:
First stop: Heidelberg Castle, and the University City of "student prince" fame. Next stop, the Black Forest and Lake Titisee and after a short break to pick up some souveniors, here we are at the Rhine Falls at Schaffhausen on the Swiss Border. I recall crossing the border was pretty easy and was amazed at the lack of formalities.

The water at the Rhine Falls is clear and clean, a striking emerald green colour that sparkles brightly in the morning sun. To complete the magnificent spectacle, in the picture, you can also see the turreted Castle Schloss Laufen on a cliff directly above the falls to the south.

On August 1 – the Swiss National Day – there is a huge fireworks display mounted on the riverside, making the view of the Rhine Falls even more remarkable.

Fast forward to 2002 and there I was at the same waterfalls again. As you can see, this time, despite having just flown in that morning (having landed at Zurich airport this time) I am more relaxed, and was sitting waiting for a cup of coffee. Unfortunately as it was still pretty early, nothing was open at that time of the morning and the coffee that we had later was entirely self-service from a vending machine.

• In a nutshell:The Largest Falls in Europe!
  • Intro Updated Apr 30, 2005

• abvideo's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2009 at 5:19 AM

great page, I had been there in my childhood !

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2008 at 9:48 PM

I trust it's not too icy in Suisse for a tropical flower :~)

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2008 at 5:55 AM

The Rhine Falls are simply awesome! Wish a happy chinese new year!

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2007 at 11:47 PM

I too, dream of cooler places. Athens has been 45C+ for over a week and now the forests are all burning! A Sad situation to see the trees being destroyed.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 3:51 AM

Keeping in touch with old VT friends...dreaming of colder climes now as weather gets hotter in the desert...and your "cool" Swiss page seemed the perfect spot.

• loisl's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 11:48 PM

Hi WildGirl, yes, thanks, I'm doing fine, preparing my Japan trip upcoming in 2 weeks, Cheers, Peter

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Wow, that looks pretty! Thank you for sharing.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2006 at 6:30 PM

I love Switzerland. Your pics are wonderful.

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2006 at 5:31 PM

Poor Switzerland. Yesterday Roger Federer lost in Paris and tomorrow their soccer team will play a scoreless tie against France. I see you said Americans are the best befrienders. We were certainly very friendly with those Czechs today, weren't we?

• Lady_Mystique's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 4:38 PM

Those falls are awesome!!! Would love to go there!!!

Wild_Orchid

“... not seeking new lands, but seeing with new eyes”

Badges & Stats in Schaffhausen

Have you been to Schaffhausen?