"Brunei – the country that Oil built" Brunei by Wild_Orchid
Brunei Travel Guide: 899 reviews and 3,593 photos
Small country, small population but big in wealth. No agriculture, no industry but who needs it when you’re sitting on vast reserves of oil.
Welcome to Brunei: land of oil and more oil and the world famous Sultan of Brunei.
Evidence of its oil wealth is everywhere. From the wide highways (but with only a few cars on them), first rate medical facilities and mosques straight out of Arabian nights with their domes of gold. The
Sultan of Brunei, Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah of course needs no introduction. I wanted to take my picture with him, but I'm afraid he's a bit of out of my league and I wasn't granted an audience with His Majesty. Maybe next time! :D
This is not a place that comes to mind when you think of holiday destinations. It’s the lure of money to be made that draws business visitors to the country. I was one such business traveler needing only a day in Brunei but uncooperative flight timing required me to fly in the evening before. With an evening to spare, but a dearth of night life, I took a leisurely evening stroll around the area of my hotel and I now invite you all to share with me what was a quiet and peaceful evening in Brunei…
Updated in November 2007
Not much has changed since my last visit. The town is as quiet as I remember from my last visit. This time my business trip takes me further afield & from Bandar, we drove 2 hours to Kuala Belait where all the oil & gas companies are based.
PS. If you have just 1/2 a day & a local friend willing to drive you around, you'll have no problem to cover most of the touristy sites of Bandar Seri Begawan within a few hours. It's really quite small...
- Pros:Modern & clean facilities
- Cons:It's pretty quiet
- In a nutshell:One of the Richest Nations in the World
I was given a large room with a large bathroom with free internet access (get the password from the hotel reception... more travel advice
The Empire Hotel and Country Club was built to house delegates to an APEC Ministerial Conference some years ago. It’s... more travel advice
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Brunei Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bandar Seri Begawan"
- "Jalan jalan at Brunei Darussalam"
- "Oil Kingdom of Brunei"
- "Brunei Darussalam"
- "Brunei – the country that Oil built"
- "A land of Contrasts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brunei
- Hotels in Brunei
- Transportation in Brunei
- Nightlife in Brunei
- Restaurants in Brunei
- Shopping in Brunei
- Warnings and Dangers in Brunei
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brunei
- 9 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Brunei?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brunei
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos