"Brunei – the country that Oil built" Brunei by Wild_Orchid

Brunei Travel Guide: 909 reviews and 3,678 photos

One nite in Brunei

Small country, small population but big in wealth. No agriculture, no industry but who needs it when you’re sitting on vast reserves of oil.

Welcome to Brunei: land of oil and more oil and the world famous Sultan of Brunei.

Evidence of its oil wealth is everywhere. From the wide highways (but with only a few cars on them), first rate medical facilities and mosques straight out of Arabian nights with their domes of gold. The
Sultan of Brunei, Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah of course needs no introduction. I wanted to take my picture with him, but I'm afraid he's a bit of out of my league and I wasn't granted an audience with His Majesty. Maybe next time! :D

This is not a place that comes to mind when you think of holiday destinations. It’s the lure of money to be made that draws business visitors to the country. I was one such business traveler needing only a day in Brunei but uncooperative flight timing required me to fly in the evening before. With an evening to spare, but a dearth of night life, I took a leisurely evening stroll around the area of my hotel and I now invite you all to share with me what was a quiet and peaceful evening in Brunei…

Updated in November 2007
Not much has changed since my last visit. The town is as quiet as I remember from my last visit. This time my business trip takes me further afield & from Bandar, we drove 2 hours to Kuala Belait where all the oil & gas companies are based.

PS. If you have just 1/2 a day & a local friend willing to drive you around, you'll have no problem to cover most of the touristy sites of Bandar Seri Begawan within a few hours. It's really quite small...

• Pros:Modern & clean facilities
  • Cons:It's pretty quiet
  • In a nutshell:One of the Richest Nations in the World
  • Last visit to Brunei: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 21, 2008

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 8:44 PM

W_O, thanks for the updates on Brunei. I am still amazed how quiet it is. Rather than living in Bruei, you should choose Germany. It seems that the fast lanes on the autobahns would be perfect for you. :)

• stevemt's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Enjoyed your comments on Brunei, I look foward to a quick visit , in transit only unfortunatly, but better than nothing

• HooptheWorld's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Enjoyed your commentaries and photos. You write clearly and in so doing you inspired me to visit Brunei!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2007 at 12:38 AM

interesting page with good tips and photos. thank you for sharing with us :O)

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 1:19 AM

I will be attending a meeting at Brunei in July 2007 at the Empire Hotel :) Do you know how can I do the BSB city tour from the hotel? Any public transport from Empire Hotel to BSB?

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 7:47 PM

You have an amazing intro pix of Brunei. I wish I could have my second visit to the Sultanate sometime in the future. I like the place and thanks for your tips. Regards from Freddie of Toronto

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Very interesting look at this wealthy country. That hotel, WOW! A picture with the Sultan!?!? I'd be happy to come home with a postcard!! Thanks for sharing!

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 12:54 PM

Beautiful pictures and good tips! Thanks :)

• mansionion's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 12:27 AM

Brunei was OK but I've yet to start building my Brunei page yet. Thx for usefull info frm your Brunei page. -m-

• BlaTboy's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2006 at 1:53 AM

Hey "O" HAPPPPPY BIRTHDAY !!! In advance!! Dunn wanna miss it lah!!!! Cheers B-out =)

Wild_Orchid

“... not seeking new lands, but seeing with new eyes”

Badges & Stats in Brunei