"Chinese New Year in Johor" Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor by Wild_Orchid
Negeri Johor Travel Guide: 1,445 reviews and 3,445 photos
Chinese New Year is a time to come together with family and friends and to enjoy chatting about the "good old days" and also to catch up on who's doing what and who just had a baby, etc. From far and near, relatives will return home and gather for a reunion dinner on Chinese New Year Eve.
Forget about your diet-Chinese New Year is the time to enjoy tons of Chinese food and traditional & less traditional delicacies & cookies, sweets and an unlimited quantity of soft drinks, and some beer or shandy for the adults. (I'm not partial to beer and don't like the calories in soft drinks, so I brought a bottle of Italian lambrusco-how untraditional! He He, He.)
Children of all ages enjoy dressing up in their new clothes and going from house to house with their parents to visit friends and relatives. This is because apart from the attraction of the cookies, sweets and soft drinks, they know that they will usually receive ang pows in each of the houses that they visit.
The Lion Dance is performed at many houses and offices, a way to scare away the evil and bad spirits and to bring good luck to the household or office that is being "blessed". The picture shows a lion dance that was performed at my company's office last year - it is done on annually as part entertainment and partly to keep the Chinese staff happy that the work environment would continue to be favourable and the year to be an auspicious one.
Join me and let me take you through what is a typical Chinese New Year celebration for me and my extended family. It's quite difficult to know where to start...but let me give it a try. Enjoy the journey!
- Pros:Family, friends, noise, good food
- Cons:Family, friends, noise, too much good food, heat & humidity
- In a nutshell:Chinese New Year with the family, there's nothing like it!
On our recent return trip to Summmerset @ Rompin (in July 2006) we found the hotel grounds to be slightly run-down. The... more travel advice
The few activities that I missed when I was here at Kuala Rompin was gym, archery, water polo, introduction to... more travel advice
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Negeri Johor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Johorian Jungle Tales"
- "Chinese New Year in Johor"
- "Johor (Johore) - Southern Most State"
- "Puteri Gunung Ledang"
- "Johor - Southern Gateway"
- "Water, water, water everywhere!"
- "Johor Darul Takzim"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Negeri Johor
- Hotels in Negeri Johor
- Transportation in Negeri Johor
- Nightlife in Negeri Johor
- Restaurants in Negeri Johor
- Shopping in Negeri Johor
- Warnings and Dangers in Negeri Johor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Negeri Johor
- 28 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Negeri Johor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Negeri Johor
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos