"The Biggest Theme Park in South East Asia" Singapore by Wild_Orchid
Singapore Travel Guide: 4,730 reviews and 10,854 photos
Singapore, the Lion City is a fascinating city. What do you get when you put together an Asian heritage & culture with increasingly Western outlook and influences, plus a Government with the mission and zeal to make this City State all that it can be? You get what I'd like to view as the Biggest Theme Park in South East Asia or perhaps One big Shopping Mall.
Why do I say this? Well, it has everything - it is safe, clean and orderly. The streets are well lit and safe, day or night. Road signs and MRT signages help you get around easilly. In fact, the whole city does look and feel kind of too-good-to-be- true, doesn't it?
True, the country has a few rather unique & 'fine' rules but this serves to ensure that everyone continues to feel secure and that the city continues to be beautiful, orderly and clean, so why not? There is something here for everyone. Sights to see, stuff to do, things to buy (and buy, and buy...), and of course, like in any good theme park, there is a wide range of food to choose from, to fit all pockets.
So, whatever your budget and whether it is a holiday with the kids, or some grown-up fun just for the two of you, you're sure to find it here in Singapore.
What can I say that has not been said about Orchard Road. It is hip, it is happening, and it is still the place to hang out!
Despite the recent economic crisis, and a recovery from the nasty SARS episode, Orchard Road and its restaurants and shopping malls are booming. Nearby condominiums are being repainted, refurbished or torn down and redeveloped. At Orchard Road itself, live bands play on the pavements (outside Paragon shopping Mall & Ngee Ann City Mall) and at Scotts Road, you can see kids and teenagers strutting their newest clothes, shoes and watches hang out, to see and be seen.
Everyone here is very fasionable and well-groomed, so if you're not dressed in the latest gear (especially us Malaysians...), you might look downright dowdy. Nevertheless, you will always feel welcome in Sunny Singapore.
Some critics say it is "sterile", but I think the Singaporeans are trying hard to be more creative and open. Woo hoo! Do you know they even have bar-top dancing at certain pubs now? I say: Let's give them a chance!
Have you ever wondered whether it ever rains in sunny Singapore? Well, I can tell you that it does! Not for very long, at the most for 30 minutes and at worst up to 2 hours. This photo was taken at around 4pm on Friday, from my hotel room window and shows the junction of Victoria Street and Middle Road. Pretty, isn't it?
- Pros:like a Theme Park - clean, orderly, lots to see and do, good food, well-dressed people
- Cons:there are a few...but I still like it!
- In a nutshell:A Delight for Kids, Shopping haven for Mums & Dads,
The Japanese Department Store Seiyu at Parco Bugis Junction houses TopManShop, Dorothy Perkins, FashionLab, Trumph,... more travel advice
Christmas is always a special time in Singapore. The City puts up a good show, and every building and every main street... more travel advice
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Singapore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Uniquely Singapore"
- "Singapore Downtown"
- "(the real) Happiest Place on Earth"
- "ONE ISLAND WITH 63 SURROUNDING ISLETS"
- "Home away from Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Singapore
- Hotels in Singapore
- Transportation in Singapore
- Nightlife in Singapore
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Shopping in Singapore
- Warnings and Dangers in Singapore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Singapore
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Singapore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Singapore
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Any Good Restaurant to..."
- updated a Singapore Travel Page "The Biggest Theme Park in South East Asia"
- Commented on one of bpacker's Singapore travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Seiyu Department Store"
- Wrote a Review Seiyu Department Store about Bugis Junction in Singapore Shopping
Photos in SingaporeSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos