"The Biggest Theme Park in South East Asia" Singapore by Wild_Orchid

Singapore Travel Guide: 4,570 reviews and 10,393 photos

The Biggest Theme Park in South East Asia or One Big Shopping Mall?

Singapore, the Lion City is a fascinating city. What do you get when you put together an Asian heritage & culture with increasingly Western outlook and influences, plus a Government with the mission and zeal to make this City State all that it can be? You get what I'd like to view as the Biggest Theme Park in South East Asia or perhaps One big Shopping Mall.

Why do I say this? Well, it has everything - it is safe, clean and orderly. The streets are well lit and safe, day or night. Road signs and MRT signages help you get around easilly. In fact, the whole city does look and feel kind of too-good-to-be- true, doesn't it?

True, the country has a few rather unique & 'fine' rules but this serves to ensure that everyone continues to feel secure and that the city continues to be beautiful, orderly and clean, so why not? There is something here for everyone. Sights to see, stuff to do, things to buy (and buy, and buy...), and of course, like in any good theme park, there is a wide range of food to choose from, to fit all pockets.

So, whatever your budget and whether it is a holiday with the kids, or some grown-up fun just for the two of you, you're sure to find it here in Singapore.

Orchard Road

What can I say that has not been said about Orchard Road. It is hip, it is happening, and it is still the place to hang out!

Despite the recent economic crisis, and a recovery from the nasty SARS episode, Orchard Road and its restaurants and shopping malls are booming. Nearby condominiums are being repainted, refurbished or torn down and redeveloped. At Orchard Road itself, live bands play on the pavements (outside Paragon shopping Mall & Ngee Ann City Mall) and at Scotts Road, you can see kids and teenagers strutting their newest clothes, shoes and watches hang out, to see and be seen.

Everyone here is very fasionable and well-groomed, so if you're not dressed in the latest gear (especially us Malaysians...), you might look downright dowdy. Nevertheless, you will always feel welcome in Sunny Singapore.

Some critics say it is "sterile", but I think the Singaporeans are trying hard to be more creative and open. Woo hoo! Do you know they even have bar-top dancing at certain pubs now? I say: Let's give them a chance!

Rain or Shine-It's always Great

Have you ever wondered whether it ever rains in sunny Singapore? Well, I can tell you that it does! Not for very long, at the most for 30 minutes and at worst up to 2 hours. This photo was taken at around 4pm on Friday, from my hotel room window and shows the junction of Victoria Street and Middle Road. Pretty, isn't it?

• Pros:like a Theme Park - clean, orderly, lots to see and do, good food, well-dressed people
  • Cons:there are a few...but I still like it!
  • In a nutshell:A Delight for Kids, Shopping haven for Mums & Dads,
  • Last visit to Singapore: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 21, 2008

• MrBill's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2008 at 4:40 AM

Hi Auntie! I will be in Singapore before I arrive in KL, so looking forward to it as well as putting your good advice to the test. See you soon. Ciao. Bill

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 1:59 AM

I'm more than happy to give the Singers bar top dancers a chance ;~)

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Singapore. Yes, the country I wanna visit again. That is why I am coming in May to see and discover more of this cleanest city in Southeast Asia.

• Oct 14, 2006 at 11:37 AM

lovely page! Nikos

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 9:23 PM

•:*¨`*:• That is fantastic, I like it•:*¨`*:•

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2006 at 7:40 PM

"Seiyu, Say me, kiasu all the free food court samples, that's the way it should be!" Yo O! Somebody gotta make a fun Singapore quiz. Maybe bpacker?

• shikokuzen's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2006 at 7:53 PM

Loved the tips...loved the pics....wanna go to singa....soon i hope

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2006 at 12:44 AM

Waking up to bird song at the Mandarin sounds the perfect place to stay if you can afford it.Love your new profile pic! Happy Chinese New Year to u too.":*¨`*:·~My§ticÄl~·:*.隐形的 ღ (~_~)♫♫"

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 12:21 PM

Great tips! That hotel seems very nice.

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2006 at 4:31 PM

Singapore! My most favourite place in the world (well so far!) I was lucky enough to live there for 3 years when I was a child & I remember fondly every little thing about it! Marion x.

Wild_Orchid

“... not seeking new lands, but seeing with new eyes”

Badges & Stats in Singapore

Have you been to Singapore?

Latest Activity in Singapore