Pulau Pangkor Things to Do Tips by Wild_Orchid
Pulau Pangkor Things to Do: 60 reviews and 132 photos
The public beach of Teluk Batik, Lumut is not far from the jetty to Pangkor. If you have a car you can drive here to take a look. This beach on the mainland of Lumut is popular with locals day-trippers who don't wish to take a ferry to the island of Pangkor.
There is a large car park and stalls set up selling food & drinks, beach-accessories for kids & cheap cotton t-shirts (from RM5 each = US$1.25). They also sell those "fishy" sweetish tid-bits that we all enjoy so much!
Do bring along your own mat so you can take a snooze under the trees, or you could also rent a deck chair. There are also black rubber-tubes are also available for rental here and I saw many local kids playing on them.
If you didn't bring along a swim suit, don't despair! The local muslim women swim in their track pants and t-shirts while the guys wear shorts and t-shirts.
There is also a public toilet to have a bath afterwards. However, it is best if you do have a towel and your own soap! (or buy it cheaply at the stalls)
Address: Teluk Batik, Lumut, Perak
Directions: several km from the jetty to Pangkor.
Kellie's Castle or Folly?
If you are driving from KL to Pangkor/Lumut, you might want to drop by the historical site of Kellie's Castle which is near the town of Batu Gajah in Perak. There is a small entrance fee, cheaper for children.
This castle has very romantic beginnings and was built by William Kellie Smith as a home for his beloved wife. Unfortunately tragedy struck, and the building was never completed. It remained hidden for many years as the jungle claimed it for its own. Some years ago, the state government took up the project to clear the site and restore this castle to its former splendour.
The trunk road that takes you from Gopeng or Simpang Pulai/Ipoh to Batu Gajah now leads directly to this site and was newly tarred (my last visit was in May 2004).
Situated next to a river, Kellie's Castle is also a popular picnic site for local families and young couples. There is a small cafe next to the car park.
Address: Near the town of Batu Gajah, on the way to Lumut
Directions: On NKVE, exit at Gopeng toll, turn right & follow road signs to Batu Gajah and Kellie's Castle (signs are white with green words). Soon after a row of shop-houses, take second left turn. (if you are not careful, you might miss this turn!)
More Reviews (8)
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Pulau Pangkor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pulau Pangkor"
- "Pangkor Laut"
- "Pangkor Laut - A bit of paradise"
- "Beautiful Island"
- "Orange Pangkor"
- "Selamat Datang ke Pulau Pangkor"
- "Jen in Pangkor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Pangkor
- Hotels in Pulau Pangkor
- Transportation in Pulau Pangkor
- Nightlife in Pulau Pangkor
- Restaurants in Pulau Pangkor
- Shopping in Pulau Pangkor
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Pangkor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Pangkor
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Pulau Pangkor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Pangkor
- updated a Pulau Pangkor Travel Page "Selamat Datang ke Pulau Pangkor"
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Any Good Restaurant to..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Getting to Pulau Pangkor - exit Ipoh instead"
- Commented on one of Loubna's Pulau Pangkor travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit Teluk Batik at Lumut in Pulau Pangkor Things to Do
Photos in Pulau PangkorSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos