"Selamat Datang ke Pulau Pangkor" Pulau Pangkor by Wild_Orchid
Pulau Pangkor Travel Guide: 202 reviews and 589 photos
A popular destination for KL-ites & Penang-ites looking to get away for a short break, Pulau Pangkor is one of the few island resorts on the West Coast of Peninsular Malaysia. Pangkor Town is quaint, it has an air about it that tells you that nothing has changed for the past 20 years (except maybe the prices - LOL )! Take a walk along its main street, and you can tuck into some delicious fresh seafood for lunch or dinner. The favourite here is ikan bawal putih (in Cantonese called "Pak Cheong yee", in English "Pomfret"), which when steamed lightly with light soya sauce, is sweet and succulent. The price here is relatively cheap compared to KL.
For the die-hard shopaholics (yes, confess, you know who you are!) , you can also buy some souveniors, cheap t-shirts (RM5.00 only!), and dried seafood for the cooking pot, or those little fishy snacks that Malaysian children simply love!
Driving Tips: From KL, drive along the North Klang Valley Expressway, exit at Bidor and head to the Lumut Jetty via Teluk Intan town. At the jetty, get a ferry to the island.
Newly updated Driving tip-November 2004: "I suggest to continue on the highway to Ipoh and from there taking the well announced route 5 to Lumut-Pulau Pangkor. It saves time, money, marriage and adrenaline!!! (-;" ~ manueleb ~
Once on the island, the popular way to get around is to rent a car. Take note: there are no large petrol stations, so you would have to fill up petrol at certain grocery stores. Instead look out for the handwritten signs that read "Petrol"! There are some nice stretches of beach eg. Pasir Bogak, where you can take off your shoes and chill out under a coconut tree.
Accommodation: There are 5 star Resorts and also budget accommodation - I'm sure you will find something that fits your pocket.
- Pros:Close enough to KL and Penang - make a weekend of it!
- Cons:The beach and water quality is not as good as in the East Coast beaches
- In a nutshell:Good place for a some Family Fun in the Sun !
The public beach of Teluk Batik, Lumut is not far from the jetty to Pangkor. If you have a car you can drive here to... more travel advice
These holiday apartments are located at Lumut, which is NOT on the island of Pulau Pangkor. 2 bedroom apartments, 3 bed... more travel advice
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Pulau Pangkor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pulau Pangkor"
- "Pangkor Laut"
- "Pangkor Laut - A bit of paradise"
- "Beautiful Island"
- "Orange Pangkor"
- "Selamat Datang ke Pulau Pangkor"
- "Jen in Pangkor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Pangkor
- Hotels in Pulau Pangkor
- Transportation in Pulau Pangkor
- Nightlife in Pulau Pangkor
- Restaurants in Pulau Pangkor
- Shopping in Pulau Pangkor
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Pangkor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Pangkor
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Pulau Pangkor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Pangkor
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Any Good Restaurant to..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Getting to Pulau Pangkor - exit Ipoh instead"
- Commented on one of Loubna's Pulau Pangkor travel pages
- updated a Pulau Pangkor Travel Page "Selamat Datang ke Pulau Pangkor"
- Wrote a Review Visit Teluk Batik at Lumut in Pulau Pangkor Things to Do
Photos in Pulau PangkorSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos