"Cameron Highlands-a place to relax in cool comfort" Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands by Wild_Orchid
Cameron Highlands Travel Guide: 568 reviews and 1,703 photos
My original tip was written in 2004 and it has been re-written and revised several times. The latest revision was done in March 2007.
I've visited Cameron Highlands once a year for the past few years and my family and I love this place. I have lots of photos dating back from the 1990's, showing my kids when they were younger and they make me realise that kids do grow up really quickly.
With the opening of the new Simpang Pulai route, Camerons has become more accessible and while that's good for the local economy, I feel that Camerons has become overdeveloped and somewhat over-commercialised of late.
There are large resort hotels, shops and farms for tourists mushrooming all over in a somewhat haphazard fashion, thus causing Camerons to lose some of its old English colonial charm.
Nevertheless, my survey of first-time visitors to Camerons shows that they find that there is still much to be enjoyed here, and they said that would not mind a second visit.
Some Upside: Despite my comments above, Camerons certainly has character and is different from the rest of Malaysia. It has managed to retain some of its of old world charm. Fresh flowers, strawberries & potted plants are available for sale, as well as fresh fruits & tomatoes and other vegetables. There are three major tea plantations - Bharat Tea Estates and the two Boh Plantations, one at Sg Palas and one more at Ringlet, that are worth a visit.
Don't miss the famous Brinchang pasar malam (night market) that starts from around 4pm on Fridays and Saturdays. It used to be very small, taking up just the car park area around Brinchang, but now it has been extended and has been moved to a street in front of the police station.
There's also a new 2 star hotel located along that same road. At the night market (now more of an evening market, since it starts earlier), you can find fresh produce from the nearby farms, occasionally you may find jungle plants and medicines, dried & fresh flowers, toys and many types of snacks.
Look out also for the tamarillos (tree tomatoes) - these fruit are unique to Cameron Highlands. They are an attractive shade of purple with orange glow. The pulp of this fruit, with its tiny edible seeds is deliciously tangy. Cut them in half, pour on a tiny pinch of sugar and scoop them out with a spoon. Also great with ice-cream!
Some downside: watch out for these: water shortages, traffic jams & crowds, and it is also expensive to eat out.
One of the famous icons of Cameron Highlands is Ye Olde Smokehouse. Practically every person that comes to these Highlands will make it a point to get a picture of themselves with this typically English house. In fact, no trip to Camerons could be said to be complete without this obligatory picture! I've not stayed at this hotel, but I've had afternoon tea and scones here a few times. Sitting at the gardens in the afternoon having some Boh or Bharat tea is quite the done thing, dahlings. Don't miss it for the world!
Actually, there are quite a few places that serve good devonshire tea and scones. Likewise, there are a number of apartments and houses at Camerons that are done up in the same mock-Tudor style, but nothing beats Ye Olde Smoke House. There is also a Ye Olde Smoke house in Frazers Hill and a restaurant in KL by the same name.
I never promised you a rose garden...
Unless you're at Cameron Highlands, where flowers of all sorts (especially roses) bloom everywhere. If you enjoy flowers, birds, bee & butterfly farms do make time to visit Rose Valley and Cactus Valley.
- Pros:still cool, but you don't really need a sweater except when the wind blows
- Cons:some water cuts, too many people at peak periods! pricy food
- In a nutshell:no palm trees, no movie stars, just flowers, birds, bees and lots of tea!
When I used to visit Brinchang Night Market in the 1990's, it only operated on the weekends its early life began in the... more travel advice
There are a number of restaurants serving tasty South & Northern Indian food at Tanah Rata town. You can't miss... more travel advice
- See All Sg Klah Hot Springs Park
- See All Get ready for traffic jams, crowds and...
- See All Enjoy the famous Cameronian Tea
Wild_Orchid's Related Pages
Cameron Highlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cameron Highlands-a place to relax in cool comfort"
- "Cameron Highlands"
- "Cameron Highlands...The Cool Point!"
- "Cameron Highlands - Cool, serene and peaceful."
- "Colonial style highland gateaway"
- "Cameron Highlands"
- "Cameron Highlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cameron Highlands
- Hotels in Cameron Highlands
- Transportation in Cameron Highlands
- Nightlife in Cameron Highlands
- Restaurants in Cameron Highlands
- Shopping in Cameron Highlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Cameron Highlands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cameron Highlands
- 29 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Cameron Highlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cameron Highlands
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Any Good Restaurant to..."
- updated a Cameron Highlands Travel Page "Cameron Highlands-a place to relax in cool comfort"
- Wrote a Review Buy food & local produce in Cameron Highlands Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Buy food & local produce"
- Commented on one of y_lyn's Cameron Highlands travel pages
Photos in Cameron HighlandsSee All Photos (71)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 106 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 48 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands Intro, 29 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Selangor Intro, 36 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Terengganu Intro, 29 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 32 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 26 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Johor Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipoh Intro, 21 reviews, 49 photos