"Cameron Highlands-a place to relax in cool comfort" Top 5 Page for this destination Cameron Highlands by Wild_Orchid

Cameron Highlands Travel Guide: 567 reviews and 1,700 photos

Cameron's is still cool despite being overcrowded and over-developed

My original tip was written in 2004 and it has been re-written and revised several times. The latest revision was done in March 2007.

I've visited Cameron Highlands once a year for the past few years and my family and I love this place. I have lots of photos dating back from the 1990's, showing my kids when they were younger and they make me realise that kids do grow up really quickly.

With the opening of the new Simpang Pulai route, Camerons has become more accessible and while that's good for the local economy, I feel that Camerons has become overdeveloped and somewhat over-commercialised of late.

There are large resort hotels, shops and farms for tourists mushrooming all over in a somewhat haphazard fashion, thus causing Camerons to lose some of its old English colonial charm.

Nevertheless, my survey of first-time visitors to Camerons shows that they find that there is still much to be enjoyed here, and they said that would not mind a second visit.

Some Upside: Despite my comments above, Camerons certainly has character and is different from the rest of Malaysia. It has managed to retain some of its of old world charm. Fresh flowers, strawberries & potted plants are available for sale, as well as fresh fruits & tomatoes and other vegetables. There are three major tea plantations - Bharat Tea Estates and the two Boh Plantations, one at Sg Palas and one more at Ringlet, that are worth a visit.

Don't miss the famous Brinchang pasar malam (night market) that starts from around 4pm on Fridays and Saturdays. It used to be very small, taking up just the car park area around Brinchang, but now it has been extended and has been moved to a street in front of the police station.
There's also a new 2 star hotel located along that same road. At the night market (now more of an evening market, since it starts earlier), you can find fresh produce from the nearby farms, occasionally you may find jungle plants and medicines, dried & fresh flowers, toys and many types of snacks.

Look out also for the tamarillos (tree tomatoes) - these fruit are unique to Cameron Highlands. They are an attractive shade of purple with orange glow. The pulp of this fruit, with its tiny edible seeds is deliciously tangy. Cut them in half, pour on a tiny pinch of sugar and scoop them out with a spoon. Also great with ice-cream!

Some downside: watch out for these: water shortages, traffic jams & crowds, and it is also expensive to eat out.

Ye Olde Smokehouse

Ye Olde Smokehouse

One of the famous icons of Cameron Highlands is Ye Olde Smokehouse. Practically every person that comes to these Highlands will make it a point to get a picture of themselves with this typically English house. In fact, no trip to Camerons could be said to be complete without this obligatory picture! I've not stayed at this hotel, but I've had afternoon tea and scones here a few times. Sitting at the gardens in the afternoon having some Boh or Bharat tea is quite the done thing, dahlings. Don't miss it for the world!

Actually, there are quite a few places that serve good devonshire tea and scones. Likewise, there are a number of apartments and houses at Camerons that are done up in the same mock-Tudor style, but nothing beats Ye Olde Smoke House. There is also a Ye Olde Smoke house in Frazers Hill and a restaurant in KL by the same name.

I never promised you a rose garden

I beg your pardon,
I never promised you a rose garden...

Unless you're at Cameron Highlands, where flowers of all sorts (especially roses) bloom everywhere. If you enjoy flowers, birds, bee & butterfly farms do make time to visit Rose Valley and Cactus Valley.

• Pros:still cool, but you don't really need a sweater except when the wind blows
  • Cons:some water cuts, too many people at peak periods! pricy food
  • In a nutshell:no palm trees, no movie stars, just flowers, birds, bees and lots of tea!
  • Last visit to Cameron Highlands: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 30, 2008

• Dec 5, 2010 at 8:37 PM

hi.. can i have the contact for the bungalow?? thanks

• Nov 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Can i get the contact details for the bungalow? Tks! larentan@gmail.com

• Mar 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Hi, saw ur CH photo, look wonderful. I am planning to go there this June with about 20 members, can you give me the contact to the bungalow or any similar kind? U can email to me at ivychempaka@gmail.com, thanks you very much.

• Nov 17, 2009 at 12:51 AM

I would like to have the contact to the bungalow you stayed in Cameron Highlands. Thanks

• Oct 22, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Me and a friend are planning a trip to Camerons....we fancy staying in a nice, clean colonial bungalow with its traditional cook....any place I can just rent a room for 1-nite on Nov 2?

• mike_odyssey's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Hi Wild Orchid, I have also holidayed in CH (frm 4 to 44+). I am saw the photo of the bungalow you rented. Is it possible for me to rent it? If not, its ok. My email "mick_lsg@yahoo.com." Thanks. Mike.

• Oct 21, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Greetings from KL, We have not been back to Cameron's for the last 10years... Your description of the bungalow seems wonderful. How do we book? Cheers.

• Jul 19, 2008 at 11:14 PM

Hi Wild Orchid, My friends and I would like to stay in bungalow in Cameron Highlands in August. Could you give me the contact details of some cosy, private bungalows for rent? Thanks

• Jun 29, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Hi, Can you send me your Simpang Pulai route map (good map)? valera.flor@yahoo.com. Do you think a Kembara Perodua (1.3) can make it through Simpang pulai road to Cameron Highlands?

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Very detailed and colorful, great page as always! Lots of red is always good!

Wild_Orchid Visits Here Frequently!

Wild_Orchid

“... not seeking new lands, but seeing with new eyes”

Badges & Stats in Cameron Highlands

Have you been to Cameron Highlands?