"Taman Negara-Your Jungle adventure begins here!" Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara by Wild_Orchid

Taman Negara Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 489 photos

The Mighty Tahan River

The Mighty Tahan River

Your journey into the million year old jungle begins here, at Kuala Tahan, the headquarters for Taman Negara. Your journey from Kuala Lumpur will take between 3-4 hours.

My first trip to Taman Negara was in June 2002 and in June 2007, I was fortunate to visit this beautiful natural park again.

of Long Boats and long boat rides

Long Boat Ride

Access to the rainforest and the resorts used to be only by long boat, but in recent years, the roads have been improved and you can also make your journey on coaches and four-wheel drive vehicles.

Despite the rather long boat ride, this is a must-try for travellers to Taman Negara. It is about 2-2.5 hours on the boat from Kuala Tahan to the Mutiara Taman Negara.

June 2007 update
My colleague picked me up from Petaling Jaya at around 2pm. Leaving PJ, Kepong and Batu Caves behind us, we took the Karak Highway onto the East Coast highway and exited at Jerantut. From there, we turned right and followed the trunk road all the way to our desination: Woodland Resort. There was a slight detour as one stretch of the road was under repair, however, we managed to find ourselves back on track by asking the locals. The drive takes between 3.5 to 4 hours and the roads are good.

I found the journey to be sufficiently comfortable and the large overhead trees shaded us as we glided along on the river. While my friends were tired after the coach ride and many fell asleep, lulled by the gentle boat ride, I stayed awake to enjoy the unique experience of being able to enjoy nature while slowly peeling open some kuaci (dried sunflower seeds) and popping them into my mouth...aaah.........

• Pros:sparkling river, lush, unspoilt greenery, unique plant and animal-life
  • Cons:actually there are fewer mosquitoes than you think, but there are a few!
  • In a nutshell:Enjoy a million year old jungle, the beauty of Nature...
  • Last visit to Taman Negara: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2007

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2007 at 8:16 PM

D, this woodlands resort looks like a nice new joint. Will consider this next time I go there. How's Taman Negara these days, further land developments?

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 2:39 PM

This looks like a great place to enjoy nature. It is a shame that we ran out of time and didn't get there. I like your photos and tips.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2007 at 12:38 AM

So it's open season on bunnies in the jungle??? // Bunnilicious!

• y_lyn's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Maybe I can try out this new resort the next time I go Taman Negara :) But not sure whether I will have a chance to be there for a 2nd trip?

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2007 at 9:47 PM

I remember the canopy walk, amazing!

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Outstanding new tip on the Woodlands Resort, W_O. Wow, it was 1999 since I was at Taman Negara. Time flies. Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories.

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2005 at 10:17 AM

Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you , Happy birthday to Orchid, Happy birthday to you. >:D: :x :)

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2005 at 12:04 AM

Slimy, "muddy" and a bit smelly huh? Got harimau(s) or not?

• Cool_chix's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2005 at 10:37 AM

Interesting page. Very action packed kind of places. Must get myself dirty 1 day. I mean caving... nothing else.

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2005 at 5:43 AM

Dirty & muddy caves, unique plants & animals, mossies too ... my kind of place :) Popping Kuaci sounds like a fun things to do :))) .... nice updates lah.

Wild_Orchid

“... not seeking new lands, but seeing with new eyes”

Badges & Stats in Taman Negara

Have you been to Taman Negara?